1.11 . goddess of the earth

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"DRAGONS?" HERMIONE REPEATED IN UTTER shock the next morning at breakfast. The three were sitting at their usual spots at the Gryffindor table. Gaia nodded slowly as she sluggishly lifted her spoon from her cereal to her mouth. Both she and Harry were visibly exhausted after the events of the previous night. The two hadn't even made it back to the common room until past one in the morning, at which point it took nearly an hour more of talking to each other to calm their nerves enough to go to bed. Now, the only things keeping the pair going were the very limited hours of sleep off of which they were functioning and the pure terror of what could occur in the first task the next day if they didn't figure out a plan as soon as possible. 

       The rest of breakfast passed quietly as all three students were deep in their own heads formulating strategy for how a fourteen-year-old could stand a chance against a dragon with one day's worth of preparation. Gaia was beginning to realize why they shut down this tournament for centuries. After the friends had each finished their meal, they began to quietly follow the motions of the few students around the great hall who were already drifting from their tables and heading towards their first lessons of the day. 

       Gaia dreaded the upcoming defense against the dark arts lesson for many reasons. To start, she was as creeped out by Moody as ever. The man had started approaching her slightly less often, but even so, she would still catch him staring at her from his desk while the class had independent work, or across the sea of students in the great hall during meal times. And even aside from her aversion to the professor, she simply couldn't see herself staying awake through any lesson right now. All she wanted to do was skive off, just this once, and take a glorious nap.

       And the more she thought about it, the harder it became to keep herself from giving in to it.

       So she explained her decision to Harry as the pair walked towards Moody's classroom. Gaia felt lucky that Hermione had already gone her separate way for her Arithmancy exam, seeing as she was sure the older girl would object to this behavior. But Harry didn't seem to judge her at all, and actually thought for a moment about joining her, before deciding it would be worth it to spend Moody's class researching ways to beat the upcoming task. So Gaia said her goodbye and turned back the way they had come to head in the direction of the Gryffindor common room. 

       She made it quickly through the corridors of ambling students, repeatedly needing to rub her eyes with her robe sleeve with stifling a long yawn. The walk to Gryffinor tower had never felt longer than it did when she was desperately in need of a nap. 

       She arrived at the Fat Lady's portrait, lazily mumbled the password and made her way to her dormitory. She thought briefly about taking off her boots, but exhaustion took over and her head hit the pillow before she could formulate a clear decision. 

       However, it seemed as if the second that it did, her eyes were shot open again and rapidly blinking to try and clear up the foggy face in front of her. 

       "Gaia!" the bushy-haired silhouette repeated, this time shoving the tired girl's shoulders repeatedly in attempt to wake her up. 

       "Hermione, please, I just want one nap!" Gaia begged as she rolled on to her other side to turn her back on her dorm mate. 

       "You have been napping. For two hours." 

       Gaia turned her head but did not bother mustering up the energy to move the rest of her body, resulting in her neck turned sharply over her right shoulder to glare at Hermione with narrow eyes.