Chapter 15: Fixing Friendship

Tris was pulled roughly upwards.

She collapsed her body being effortlessly thrown into the soft ground, coughing out. She looked over the ground, knowing it was the sand. As she looked over and saw a familiar echidna. Red fur, a white crescent on his chest, and violet eyes.

It was Knuckles who saved her again. It was the second time she was saved by her best friend.

"You saved me?" Tris said in shock.

"Don't talk to me. I'm not in the mood." His voice sounded gruff, slightly deeper than before. She figured he looked distressed after he was betrayed. Of course, Robotnik has manipulated and used him to find the Master Emerald. Suddenly, when his thought was interrupted, he got hit by the sand ball, which angered him.

"How dare you attack me in my hour of sorrow!?" Knuckles shouted at her. Tris throws another sandball at him.

"Why did you save me?" Tris saved, teasing him slightly. When she was about to throw another sand ball, Knuckles threw it back at her that making her covered in sand.

"Because I first saved you and now you saved me back, which clearly gave you a tactical advantage that I do not understand." Knuckles argued when he created a giant sand ball.

"It wasn't tactical. I couldn't just let you die." Tris told him.

His eyes blinked a bit. He dropped a giant sand ball and sat down beside her. "Why? I've been trying to destroy you and your brother since you were my first friend."

"We live to forgive and forget," Tris said, smiling lightly at him.

"All those years ago, we both lost everything. Yet you moved forward. Why?" Knuckles questioned her with a stern look on his face.

Then Tris proceeded to recite Tom's advice about being a hero is about taking responsibility for others, which Knuckles recognized the wisdom in. Soon after, Tails and Sonic arrived at the island in the Tornado, much to Tris' happiness. Tris tried to convince Knuckles to come with them and stop Robotnik.

"Come on, Knucklehead. We're not beat yet." Tris said.

He didn't move as he turned his head and faced the blue female hedgehog. "You told me you accept things that don't heal, but if they scare you, then how do you and Sonic feel seem so hopeful and free."

"Because I didn't do this alone. I had my brother. I had Tails. I found friends who would always be there for me, no matter what the cost." Encouraging Knuckles to do the same, the two seal their newfound friendship with a handshake, which Tris was happy to get back to her first best friend.