Chapter 16: To The Battle

Sonic, Tris, Tails, and Knuckles emerge from a Ring outside of town in the Tornado. Although they spot Robotnik's tornado and see its threat, Tails worries if is a good idea to bring Knuckles with them. Tris insisted that Knuckles is just mixed up, which Knuckles vehemently denied.

After Knuckles and Tails then come to a sort of understanding, the four head towards the tornado, inside of which a machine is forming, which Robotnik boarded with an impressed Stone inside a secondary command center in it. The tornado then dissipates as the Giant Eggman Robot was revealed.

With the robot responding to his movements, Robotnik has his machine begin trampling into Green Hills while playing music. While G.U.N. falls back, Sonic and his crew move in on the Tornado. Before Sonic can formulate a plan though, "Knuckles, use your strength to..." Suddenly they watched Knuckles jumped off the Tornado, leaving Sonic, Tris, and Tails to face the Great Eggman Robot without a plan. "...jump off the plane..."

As Sonic and Tris taunted Robotnik, the doctor decided to fire missiles at him. However, Stone has yet to figure out how to operate the Great Eggman Robot, so Robotnik does it himself, shocking Stone with his energies as he operates the control panel. As a missile barrage was fired from the Great Eggman Robot, Tails managed to steer the Tornado through the barrage unharmed. Just as Sonic and Tris relaxed, they were knocked away by a missile hitting him.

Meanwhile, down on the ground, Knuckles approached the Great Eggman Robot head-on. In response, Robotnik tried to crush him with his robot's hand. Ultimately, Knuckles hit the hand with his best attack, but it does not harm him.

Back in the air, Tails shoot the Great Eggman Robot with machinegun gadgets equipped to the Tornado, but they make no difference either. Furthermore, the Tornado's wings got crushed by the Great Eggman Robot's flappable mustache, which Stone managed to use after reading the Great Eggman Robot's manual. The Tornado subsequently crashed into the ground and was destroyed, but Tails got out of it at the last moment.

Back to Sonic and Tris, they have managed to take control of the missile the twins were riding and redirect it into the Great Eggman Robot's knee, shaking the machine enough to knock Stone out.

As Sonic, Tris, Tails, and Knuckles reconvene on the main street, Knuckles and Tails are at loss at what to do. Sonic noted that separately, they cannot win, but if they pool their skills together as a team, using strength, speed, and smarts, they will stand a chance. With everyone in agreement, Sonic declared this is their moment.

Back in the Great Eggman Robot, Robotnik sends his infantry of Badniks after the four. As the heroes engage the Badniks, Tris asked Tails for ideas, to which Tails noted that they need to find the Great Eggman Robot's weak spot. Knuckles suggested the groin, but Sonic rejected that suggestion. As the Great Eggman Robot then opened fire with lasers at them, Tris realized that she and Sonic are Robotnik's weak spot; if they can rile Robotnik up and get his attention, they will leave the Great Eggman Robot open to a flanking maneuver from Tails and Knuckles.

With everyone in agreement, they split up, with Sonic and Tris running up to the Great Eggman Robot and taunting Robotnik into pursuing him. As Robotnik has the Great Eggman Robot follow Sonic and Tris out of Green Hills, Tails carried Knuckles onto the backside of the giant robot.

At the same time, Tom and Maddie are helping evacuate civilians. Upon stopping a local and his truck, however, Tom and Maddie decide to go get Sonic and Tris, and so borrow the truck from the local and head out in it.

Out in the forest, Robotnik took a break to get his breath, all while Sonic and Tris taunted the doctor about his supposed future plans. In response, Robotnik declared his intention to enslave humanity and conquer the entire multiverse before starting to shoot eye lasers at Sonic and Tris, who barely managed to dodge them. As he was about to head over a bridge, Tris started to run out of gas and began to slow down, allowing the Great Eggman Robot to catch up and fire a nose beam that destroyed the bridge and send the twins plummeting down.

As Robotnik floated about his superiority to the grounded Sonic and Tris, he discovered that they were all-seeing as well, which let him notice Tails break into the Great Eggman Robot's cockpit. Tails proceed to use holographic images of himself to swarm Robotnik. Declaring that he cannot outsmart him, Robotnik blasted away the holograms, leaving Tails at Robotnik's mercy.

It is then that Tails revealed that he was just a distraction. Robotnik then noticed Knuckles on the other side of the cockpit, "This is how I roll." Knuckles said who promptly jumped at Robotnik and punched the Master Emerald out of him.

With Robotnik stunned and without his power now, the Great Eggman Robot shut down and fell over, causing Tails and Knuckles to slide out of the Great Eggman Robot with the Master Emerald and land outside, completely knocked out.

Recovering, a frustrated and panicking Robotnik used his control glove to activate the Great Eggman Robot's auxiliary power, causing the robot to start powering up again.

Meanwhile, an exhausted and injured Sonic and Tris came back to their senses and spotted the Master Emerald nearby. As they slumped their way towards the Master Emerald, Robotnik managed to get the Great Eggman Robot back on its feet and walk towards them.

Without them knowing Tom and Maddie are arriving from behind in the truck. Then, just before the Great Eggman Robot can step on the twins, the Master Emerald was picked up by Tris, who in turn was picked by Maddie as she and Tom drive by in the truck.

Despite having escaped the Great Eggman Robot's foot, Robotnik has it punch the ground just behind the truck, causing it to topple and crash. Crawling out of the wreck, Sonic, Tris, Tom, and Maddie spotted the Great Eggman Robot approaching. Having the Master Emerald, Sonic believed that they can still defeat Robotnik. As they tried to figure out how it works though, the Master Emerald crumbled to pieces in Sonic's hands, releasing the seven Chaos Emeralds from it.

Robotnik proceeded to use the Great Eggman Robot's flamethrower to trap the family inside a ring of fire. Sonic and Tris told Tom and Maddie to save themselves, but the two of them refused to leave the twins behind, insisting that they are family.

Declaring their love for each other, Sonic, his twin sister, and his foster family gets ready to accept their fate and die together as the Great Eggman Robot brought its foot down upon them. However, in the last moment, the Chaos Emeralds respond to Sonic and Tris' emotions, who inadvertently absorb them.