Chapter 9

Hoshino Yuuki's POV

[Autumn]

"Yuuki-san, you forgot your lucky item!" A green haired child reminded, as he caught up with me after I headed out the house. Shintaro  handed me a white stuffed toy rabbit, my lucky item for the day.

"Thank you, Shintaro." [Hoshino Yuuki- 4th grader, 10 years old.]

"We'll be going now, kaa-san." [Midorima Shintaro- 3rd grader, 9.]

"Be careful, you two!"

"We will! Thank you!/ Hai, kaa-san."

Shizuka-san watched us left the Midorima residence. Shintaro and I are walking to our school. Yes, the Higashida Private Elementary School. The same school I am currently attending. This never happened in the past. It's true that we went to the same daycare center. But when I was an elementary student, we never saw each other again. When I was a 2nd year in Teiko Middle School, we were reunited again.

Right now, I am staying at where Shintaro lives for awhile since I'll be lonely if I stay in my home all by myself. 3 years ago, Shintaro's parent's wasn't successful of claiming my family's property. My evil auntie was about to get it all, when a kind relative from my mother's side, my mother's younger brother who just got back from America, didn't agree to let the Hoshino's fortune go to the evil auntie since she was just a far relative of otou-san. Since ojii-san knows what kind of person she was, he didn't let her have it because he is my okaa-san's direct relative. Ojii-san managed to get the fortune.

His name is Mamoru Nozumi-san. A business man. Currently at age of 26. He wanted to take me in his home with his wife and adopt me, however, I declined and decided to stay in the Hoshino residence. He wasn't as strict and bad as my evil auntie and let me do what I want as long as I'm not doing bad and he told me that if I need something, I should inform him. He sent 4 trusted workers to me to manage my home; doing the cleaning, gardening and others. I am so grateful that he's a kind person.

When Shintaro started attending school as a 1st grader, I tried to distance myself from him so I won't cause him some trouble. But I immediately regretted it and so I stopped doing that. Sometimes, Shintaro was bullied by other kids because of the way he speaks and his other hobbies. I was always there to protect Shintaro and made sure that those bullies won't do it ever again. That was probably the first time Shintaro saw me being angry. I admitted that it was immature of me, but since I'm still a child, I guess that's okay...? I just hope that I didn't scare Shintaro. Currently, I am a 4th grader while Shintaro is a 3rd grader. It's a good thing that we're attending the same school. It makes it so easy for me to keep an eye on Shintaro. If I didn't, who knows what terrible things will happen to him.

"Yuuki-san," I was pulled gently from the other side, passing by a lamp post. "You almost bump yourself to the post. Be careful. It'll be a problem if kaa-san learned that you are hurt," Shintaro told me and began to lecture me. "Please don't daze off. What if you got hurt by a moving vehicle-nanodayo?"

 What if you got hurt by a moving vehicle-nanodayo?"

I sheepishly smiled, "I'm sorry. I promise I'll be more careful."

He nodded his head in satisfaction before continuously drinking his favorite drink with his free hand.

'He really loves to drink Oshiruko everyday....' I secretly glanced at our like linked arms. 'I still wonder why he's doing this, while we're going back and forth to school. Perhaps he doesn't want to be lost? It almost looks like we're...,' I trailed off as I averted my gaze and stared the road ahead, flustered. 'For Oha-Asa's sake, he's still 9!' I reminded myself, 'We're just childhood friends... And not lovers! Or anything else!!'

"Yuuki-san. Can we please stop at that place for awhile before heading to school?"

"Sure."

The place he meant was an old shrine — the place where the previous Midorima Shintaro died....

We started going to that place on his first day of school as a 1st grader when I suggested to pray for Shintaro's safety so nothing would go wrong while he was studying in school. After that, Shintaro wanted to frequently come here to pray with me if the weather is fine and if we genuinely feel so. It's like we visit the Shrine, twice or thrice a week. Once we arrived there, Shintaro took out something from his bag and offered 2 sweet buns. We put a 100 yen coin from the offering box, and rang the bell together.

Clap! Clap!

We pressed our palms and began to pray, closing our eyes. Like always, my prayers are for Shintaro and his family, praying that Kami-sama will look after them for me whenever I'm not with them, especially when I'm not with Shintaro. Those are my only prayers. I realized that this Shintaro is much more religious than the previews one. There's nothing wrong with that so I let him be like that. However, if he goes too far as sacrificing himself for something... That, I won't allow. I'll stop him, of course. Since I've learned that there would be some changes of events happening in my life, I became extra cautious in fear that... Shintaro might not die from that day I expected and his death might happen anytime.

After we were done praying, we proceeded to our destination.

(Midorima had influenced Yuuki-chan to bring her lucky item with her. It's. So. Cute.

Just like what she did, I am also influenced by him lol. I even downloaded an app called "Oha Asa". I always check it when I have internet.

(≧∇≦)/

By the way, Libra is my Horoscope sign. What's yours?

—your Author-chan)