The Seventh Letter

Avery's POV

My hazel eyes lazily peel open and see my room like every morning. I slowly rise and start recalling yesterday; Theo on my doorstep, him living up in my barn...

It feels to good to be true though, like I made it up. Did I just dreamt it all up? I'm sure I didn't but I feel like it is to convenient and lucky to have my best friend living next door. But something catches my eye, my green flashlight that is usually tucked in a drawer is sitting on my window sill. A huge smile grows on my face and hundreds of warm butterflies swarm my body.

I rush to the bathroom and immediately take a shower. I rush through the process, because the faster I get ready the faster I can go see Theo. It feels as though I jump out just as fast as I jumped in. Dripping wet I rush, brushing my teeth till my gums ache and chomping my hair to harshly. I rush back to my room and quickly throw on a white tshirt then stare at my reflection.

"Nope." I say, ripping it off and throwing it aside. I want to look nice, I'm actually hoping that Theo will call me pretty. I change into a plain white romper with lace trim then throw a forrest green knit cardigan over and some brown combat boots. I braid my hair into a fish braid but with one look at it I undo it. I masterfully make a messy bun, trying to hard to make it look effortless. With one more glance I march out and quietly as possible I sneak into the kitchen.

I wrap a muffin into a napkin with a banana and grab a bottle of water then head off to the barn. The air is crisp and slightly chilly but the warm honey glow of the morning sun warms my skin. I slip into the barn and I climb up the ladder, opening the door when I reach the top. Theo is buried in a heap of blankets, his blonde hair a mess, poking out from under the sheets. I tip toe in and rest the food on nightstand. I gently brush my hands soothingly up and down Theo's sleeping form.

"Rise n' shin-" I start but get cut off when Theo suddenly springs awakes, lunges at me. I feel my back land harshly into the mattress and faintly hear a shriek leave my mouth. Theo's fingers tighten painfully into my wrists as I stare up into his bugged out blue eyes.

"Theo!" I gasp. Silence fills the room, the only sound breaking the silence is crickets, and Theo's harsh breathing. His blue orbs clear up, the anger subsiding and them running over my face.

"Fuck, Avery." Theo sighs, letting go of my wrists and rubbing the red skin softly. "Sorry. I'm so sorry." Theo apologizes frantically, kissing my wrists, his lips brushing softly against the irritated skin. My heart pounds in my chest, racing.

"Wha... what?" I hear myself say weakly. What in the hell just happened?!

"Ugh... can you... um, get off me? Please?" I ask. Thei tenses "Yeah! Yeah! I'm so sorry." Theo says, mounting off.

"Somebody isn't a morning person." I mumble, rubbing my sore wrists. I look up at Theo who looks like he's ready to barf.

"What was that?" I ask.

"That? That was how a prisoner responds if they feel someone touching them while they're asleep." Theo states. I feel my eyes widen in horror as images and seniors fill the blank spaces in my head and connect the dots. That's the kind of things Theo had to endure? Our gazes lock, his nerves while mine is horridness. I try to keep the expression off my face, knowing this is the last thing Theo needs; my disgust, my horror, my judgment. So instead I creep forward and slowly wrap my arms around Theo's shoulders.

"I'm sorry, I should have been more sensitive. But you're safe here, I won't hurt you, ever." I say, rubbing my hands in soothing circles on his back and nuzzling my head in crock of his tattoo covered neck. For a long moment Theo is tense and stiff. But after a moment I feel his strong arms tighten around me.