The Thirteenth Letter

Avery's POV
"Thank ya, for your business." The clerk says, handing me my change.

"No, thank ya Julia. I'll see ya around." I say, lugging the paper bag of groceries onto my hip.

"Did ya hear?" Two girls two aisles over gush, but I readjust my groceries, and start for the door.

"There's this super hot guy with a bunch of tattoos at the swimming hole! I freeze in my tracks, nearly dropping my bag.

"In our little wholesome town? I don't even think there's a tattoo parlor in the county." Another girl responds.

"Exactly! He's Mr. Mysterious, no one besides the Parker boys know him. Everyone is trying to figure who he is, and basically every girl is after him." I rush out of the small grocers to my bike. I dump the bag into the basket in front of my handle bars, and hurriedly climb on. I kick off for a start, and pedal as fast as I can towards the swimming hole.

Theo's POV
"Can you open this for me?" A random girl asks in a cooing voice, while holding out a beer bottle. This was suppose to be fun, and at first it was... When I first jumped into the water. But from the moment I pulled my head out of the water I've basically been attacked by every straight girl here.

"No." I say flatly. Why can't I just be left alone? Girls have kept attempting to climb on top of me for chicken, others haven't stop pestering me, and all the offers for rubbing sunblock on strangers has made my head spin. I had to get out the water, and I'm not enjoying myself. I really wish I was back up in the barn with Avery.

"Hi, I'm Jane-" A girl with a high pitch voice greets but I cut her off.

"I'm not interested." I state firmly. I can't deal with this anymore. I walk off, my clothes tucked under my arm, ignoring every girl who even tries to get my attention. I just wanted to swim, that's all. I'll just wait in the hot car for the guys to finish, God knows how long that'll take. Just as I throw my clothes into the backseat another girly voice sounds off.

"Heya-"

"Go away!" I bark, whipping around but I feel my stomach drop when I realize who I just snapped at. Avery looks up at with big green eyes full of hurt.

"Shit! I'm sorry Avery, I didn't know it was you!" I quickly explain, wrapping my arms around her. Half me did it so she wouldn't actually take me serious and run off, the other half just really wanted to hold her.

"Who did ya think I was?" She asked, her voice tight.

"One of the many girls who have ruined my evening." I say. "Damn vouchers haven't left me alone in an hour." I sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"That's cause ya're knew in town, no one in this town has seen a real badboy." Avery says, her eyes scanning my half dressed body from head to toe.

"Please don't call me that." I groan. I hate how people assume the worst of me cause I have body art, and piercings. That stereotype has gotten me in a lot shit.

"I'm sorry," Avery says softly, dropping her gaze to the ground.

"You're actually the person I wanted see." I admit, trying to cheer her up. Her eyes brighten, but her face still has that sad pout on it.

"Why are ya here anyway?" She asks.

"Because it is to damn hot!" I groan. "And all I wanted was to go for a swim, but I can't even do that." I sigh. I feel Avery slip her hand into mine, and instantly feel better.

"Wanna go home?" She asks.

"I want nothing more that." I breathe in relief. Avery grasps my hand, and leads off to her bike. The little mint green bike is parked with a paper of groceries sit in the basket.

"Don't you live you on a farm? Why did you go grocery shopping?" I as, hopping onto the bike.

"I got stuff ya can't grow on a farm," Avery explains, the bike shifting under Avery's weight. I easily take off with Avery on the bike.

"Like chips, cookies, and a heap of other artificial food." Avery elaborates. "I got it for ya if ya get the munchies up there in the barn late at night, or something." Avery says, making my lurch the bike to the stop,

"You did that for me?" I ask, snapping around. My blue eyes lock with Avery'a green ones, and my heart warms.

"You didn't have to do that, you spent money on me, and-" I start but she cuts me off.

"Ya are my best friend, and ya are not living in a cage anymore. Ya're a free man, and you're going to eat like one." Avery states. My eyes burn into her, and I lunge forward and wrap my arm around her small frame. I press my lips to her forehead, then to the tip of her nose, hearing her breathing hitch.

"Avery Joanna Parker, you are the most thoughtful person I have ever meet, and I'm so lucky to have you in my life." I say, gazing into her eyes.

"That's a lil' much." Avery tries to be modest. I playfully tap her chin, earning an adorable flinch from her.

"It's not enough actually." I protest. Avery opens her mouth to protest but I beat to her it.

"No, hush," I say, pressing a finger to her lips. "You're a wonderful humanitarian, and that's that."