The Eighth Letter

Theo's POV
"So can I get some room service?" I ask Avery as I finish my breakfast. She's making the bed as I stay to the side and eat. After that little incident I'm surprised how lightly Avery took it, she just shook it off. But that might of been because she realized I was in nothing but boxers and turned bright red. To distract herself she started making the bed and I made sure to put a shirt on.

"More? Really?" Avery asks as she smoothes down the made bed, still not glancing at me.

"Oh yeah, you know pillow chocolates, a back message wouldn't hurt." I joke and Avery smiles down at her work.

"Anything else Mr. Fancytion?" Avery asks, finally looking at me, her cheeks immediately turning pink.

"A towel, a bar of soap, and some shampoo. The basic hygienic stuff." I say and Avery's face crinkles up in a sad look.

"I'm sorry! I should have gotten that stuff yesterday!" She frantically apologizes. I walk up and pet her hair, trying to soothe her.

"It's fine. But I have a favor to ask." I say, changing the subject. Avery's head turns in curiosity, reminding me of a puppy.

"Shoot." Avery says.

"Can we go into town? I need to find a job." I ask.

"Sure thing. I just hope ya don't mind transportation by bike." Avery says. I shrug at her, after everything I've been through a bike is no burden.

"Not at all." I answer. "Alright, let me just leave a note for my mama. Meet me out back in five minutes." Avery says then dashes out the door. I hear her feet tap down the ladder and grow faint as she leaves the barn. I quickly get change into a black band tshirt, the words and jeans. I fish through my duffle bag to dig up my flimsy comb and run into my hair. Usually I would just leave it messy but I don't want to look like mess around Avery.

Once I'm decent I go on back, making sure not to be seen. The air is crisp and chilly and the grass is damp. Avery comes rolling up on a mint green bike, the build and design are vintage and antique looking. I whistle as she climbs off.

"Nice ride." I joke. "I definitely won't be looking threatening on that." I say and Avery bites her lower lip.

"Sorry, it ain't very manly." Avery apologizes. I swing my leg over it and raise the seat higher.

"So... wanna ride on my handle bars?" I ask Avery, bouncing my eyebrows suggestively. Avery laughs and takes a seat behind me, where a metal place sits above the wheel.

"No thank you." She declines in that cute southern accent. "Suit yourself." I say and push off the ground, sending us in motion. I pedal quickly, Avery not weighing me down in the slightest. She hums to herself as we go down her mile long drive way and I smile to myself, enjoying her little tone.

"Which way is town?" I ask at the mouth of driveway, next to her mailbox. "Right." She answers. With a sharp turn i head down the dirt road towards town.

"Are any of the roads here paved?" I ask.

"No. It's a little town, in the middle of nowhere." Avery says. "It ain't anything fancy but it is charming and full of good people." Avery adds.

"Sounds a lot different from where I'm from." I say.

"And that would be?" Avery asks and I immediately tense.

"Don't worry about it. It was no place special." I say, trying to get her off my past.

"But-" Avery starts but I cut her off.

"Avery, I don't want to talk about my home town." I snap and I feel her disappointment and bruised feelings swarm behind me. I sigh, I shouldn't be this touchy and rude about my past, especially with Avery but I can't help it. I don't want Avery to know.

"Ugh, Avery. Don't be sensitive about this-" I start but it's her turn to cut me off.

"I get the point." She says very calmly, and the rest of the ride she's mute besides giving out directions. Crap, I really pissed her off, and it has only been 24 hours. Soon we pull into town and Avery is still playing the quiet game. I chain her bike to a bike rack and just start walking through town. The town is a quaint little village, businesses in old fashion buildings and cobble stone sidewalks.

"What's your favorite store?" I ask. Avery presses her lips together nervously before answering.

"Nothing worth mentioning." She says, throwing my cold attitude from earlier back at me. I resist the urge to sigh in annoyance and try to think of a way to cheer her up.

"So why did you dress so nicely?" I ask, peering down at her. I did notice before but didn't mention how she went from tshirt and jeans to such a girly, nice outfit. Avery's expression doesn't change but her cheeks flush with pink slightly and she nervously starts to pick at her sleeve.

"No reason." Avery shrugs. This girl really knows how to say fuck you without actually saying the words.

"I'm gonna check out here... Ok?" I ask, stopping in front of a corner market. Avery just nods and I walk inside. A chime goes off above my head and a frail looking old man looks up from behind the counter. Immediately his eyes widen at my appearance, tattoos and all.

"Good morning." I say but the old man doesn't greet me. I walk up to counter and hold out my hand.

"Ya're not from here are ya?" The balding, wrinkly old man asks. My hand falls limply back to my side and I shake my head.

"No, I'm new to the area." I answer.

"I can tell." The old man says.

"I was actually looking for a job and-" I start but the old man cuts me off.

"Let me stop ya right there son. I can't have ya working here. Ya'll scare all my customers away. Families shop here, children." The old man states. My fist ball up in anger, he is just like the rest of those people, I have tattoos so I must be a terrible person right? No one ever gave me a chance because they treat me like I'm filth cause I got a few piercings.

But not everyone... Avery gave me a chance...

"Alright, it's your store." I start. "But can I buy this?" I ask, grabbing a lollipop. The man though looking apprehensive nods.

"If ya got money boy." The old man says. I give him a dollar and go back outside where a pouty Avery leans against a wall.

"Didn't get the job but... I got you this." I say handing her the Tootsie pop.

"Why?" She asks, surprised by my offering.

"Because I like your outfit." I lie. It is because Avery is a beautiful person, inside and out. I reach out and pat her head, while she just stares at me like I'm crazy.

Later

"Tough town." I say as we climb up the ladder in Avery's barn. I went to a dozens stores but no one could get past my sleeves of tattoos to hire me. No matter how angry I got when I came back out to find Avery I just appreciated her more, I loved her more. The second I got in the room I collapsed on the bed in a heap, tired from all the biking and walking.

"Don't worry, the townies are just a bunch of crooks. Snobs, all of them! But not everyone will be that rude. Not everyone here is such a pretentious judgmental... ass!" Avery says. My head snaps up, that's the first time I heard her curse.

"Avery Joanna Parker did you just cuss?" I ask and her cheeks burn an harsh red and I laugh.

"They... they just made me so angry!" She defends herself. It seems like she's so pissed from today that she completely forgot about giving me the silent treatment. I laugh and wave her over and she walks over. I wrap my arms around her and let us fall backwards, Avery gasping.

"I know not everyone in this town is a prick." I say, running my fingers through her hair.

"I know at least one really great person already." I add, and smile down at her. Avery smiles up at me, her cheeks pink.