The Ninth Letter

Avery's POV

I'm having a peaceful dream, one where you are kind of awake, and have control over your actions. In my dream Theo is guiding me through New York City, showing me, a small town girl, the big city. Just as we're walking hand in hand through the park I jolt awake.

"What the hell?! Someone call the sheriff!" I hear Noah scream from the outside. I spring out of bed, and race towards the barn.

Theo's POV

I woke up a little earlier today to take a shower at dawn, at least I could actually see what the hell I was doing this time. Dripping wet, I'm changing into my clothes, when suddenly the barn door below suddenly rattles open. I pay no mind, it's probably just Avery. Thuds rise up as Avery climbs up the latter and I quickly toss the towel, and slide on my boxers, and quickly grab my shirt. Just as my fist encloses around the cotton material the barn door of the room slides open. Instead of seeing petite Avery a tall boy with tan skin, broad shoulders, and head of light brown hair gapes at me, his green eyes wide with shock. We both freeze, not knowing what to do.

"Um... morning." I greet awkwardly .

"What the hell?!" The boy screams. "Somebody call the sheriff!"

Avery's POV

My bare feet crash against the damp grass and rocks as I run up to the barn. I'm not the only one running either, my brothers Lucas and Jonah are running up. Also, my brother in law Blake is charging up with his riffle tucked under his arm. I start panic and force my legs to surge forward. I nearly crash into my older brothers at the ajar barn door, all of us coming to a sharp halt.

"Excuse me!" I yell, squeezing past them into the barn.

"Hey! Avery! Come back here!" I hear Blake yell after me. Ignoring them I climb up as fast as I can, seeing Noah and mama blocking the room.

"Don't call the sheriff!" I yell, scrambling to my feet. Noah and mama turn to gape at me as I force my way past them and stumble into the room. I feel Theo's hands grasp my shoulders, supporting my balance.

"What in the hell Avery?" Noah asks, looking at me like I've lost my marbles.

"Avery, ya step away from that boy right now." Mama says, gesturing me over. Blake's messy dirty blonde head pops up as he climbs up, Lucas and Jonah following up after him.

"He broke in here! God knows how long he's been hoardin' up here!" Noah exclaims.

"Only a few days..." Theo mumbles under his breath. Mama's face knots up in anger and disbelief. "Blake, hand over that gun boy." Mama says, out stretching her hand but never taking her green eyes off Theo.

"Woah! Woah!" Theo exclaims, reeling backwards. "Mama!" I yell, reeling backwards, blocking Theo.

"Mama! Mama! He ain't no threat! He's my friend!" I declare. My family hushes over for a second just gaping at me.

"Avery Joanna Parker you have some explaining to do." Mama says, glaring at me. Mama hands the rifle back to her son in law Blake and gestures us to follow her.

"Alright everybody shows over. Back to the house." Mama says then points to Theo.

"And you, put some clothes on. I got children." Mama hisses. I didn't even notice Theo is only wearing his boxers, I don't turn around, feeling my face burn.

"Ugh... I'll meet ya downstairs." I say.

"Damn right ya will." Lucas says.

"Oh hush!" I snap at him, knowing my face is a bright unsightly red. I climb down the ladder, Lucas following after me then Theo following him.