CHAPTER ONE : ZAINAB'S CHILDHOOD.

In a dungeon, in the kingdom of Persia, I stood still because I couldn't sleep. I was hearing, the Whispering of crickets and rats. They were like noise, that was irritating my entire ears.
I was crying and I felt helpless, My name is Zainab I'm the first daughter, of one of the strongest King that lived in that area. But I am treated like an outcast or slave. Nobody talks to me with care and compassion. Instead, they speak with me with anger a great hatred.
My father despises me as well, and so do my half brother and sister too. I have an eighteen-year-old brother called Lincoln, and a sixteen-year-old sister called Diana
My father married my mother, a princess from Vietnam called Rose. I was told, she was a beauty to behold, but apparently, she died while giving birth to me.
I don't remember anything, about my mother, I had to believe anything I was told.
Unfortunately, after her death, a year later my father had to marry my stepmother, who happens to be my mother,s sister Queen Elizabeth.
All my father,s love was funnelled directly on my stepmother and off-spring.

Thus, I became neglected, humiliated and ridiculed In my father's kingdom.
I always did the house chores, cleaning the castle, being involved in the laundry and also cooking.
Soon enough, I mastered the art of cooking, and cooking became one of my greatest talents.
Everyone, treated me awful, except for Lydia, Lydia was my mother's maid. When my mother died, Lydia was supposed to return to Vietnam, but the latter decided otherwise.
Lydia is a middle-aged woman, Lydia is the only one who cares for me in the entire world.
As the years turned by, I have grown into a very beautiful princess. I was fair, with snow-white skin. I had a pointed nose, a pair of blue eyes and pink lips. When I smiled, people will marvel at my beauty.
This made my half brother and sister hate me the more. They became jealous of me. Because they thought I was just like an epitome of beauty. No matter, the level of makeup and beautiful fabric, they wore. I was still the most beautiful when the three of us stood.
Just earlier today, I was taking the clothes I washed into my chambers. I couldn't get into the room because it was locked.
I stood still wondering who might have locked the door just then I saw Lydia passing by, and I decided to ask.
" Please,  Lydia, do you have any idea of who might have locked my room door?".
" yes I have, I think your brother Lincoln locked it. I saw him coming out of your room, a few moments ago.  So I think your brother must be the one, that must have locked it." Lydia replied!
"Okay thank you,  Lydia."
"You are welcome, your highness."
I became furious, I was so angry, that I could not contain my emotions, so I flew into a rage.
I went straight to his room and knocked on the door. Lincoln replied,
"who is it "
"it is me " Lincoln recognised my voice and said abruptly.
"what do you want from me"
Arrogantly, I screamed
" open the door Lincoln this very moment"
"And if I don't, what will happen" he replied.
I replied," open the door this very moment"
For the second time hoping the latter will do so, but obviously, I was wrong.
Lincoln played a deaf ear to me, I took a few steps backwards. And I ran with a strong force, I burst the door and it opened afterwards.
I took Lincoln unaware, I pounced on him, just like a ferocious Tiger and gave him the beating of the century,
I called it, the beating of the century, because. I was the first person to discipline and teach that brother of mine a good lesson.
The maids and servants, ran in to separate us. The queen came in almost immediately as well.
The Queen asked the guards to chain me, after which I was thoroughly beaten to a pulp and was thereafter thrown into the dungeon.
All these are the thoughts in my mind, I was so hungry but I knew that I will never eat anything this night.

***

I heard a little noise like a footstep approaching the dungeon. I listen carefully and observe the gates of the dungeon.
Only to find out that it was miss  Lydia who was walking slowly and carefully so as not to make a sound to wake anyone.
Lydia came forward, and spoke quietly to me."  My child how are you doing"?
"It is as you've seen,  I am locked up here, it has always been so all these years. "
"My child, I know you will be hungry now. I had to wait till it was midnight because I didn't want to get caught, by a guard.
The gods are still with me, for I was almost caught twice. I thank the gods, for I manage to escape."

"My child, patience is a virtue. You've indeed been treated like an outcast or better still a slave, in your father's kingdom. But all I know is that one day the gods of our land will wipe away your tears from your eyes, and laughter will be your companion." Lydia consoled me.
Miss Lydia, what offence did my mother ever commit? What is her crime? Pls have to tell me.
As I spoke to her, tears were flowing endlessly from my eyes nonstop.
"Your mother was a good woman who treated everyone with compassion. I was treated like a sister of hers. I am very sure, Rose your mother has no enemies ok."
"Rose was a very lovely woman, that hated oppression or molestation, I see no reason why  your father, is treating, his daughter and child this way."
"I can't seem to fathom the problem, but all I know is that something is not just right. But the truth is that.
No matter, how long it takes, the gods will vindicate, you my child, so don't worry much ok."
"My child, I brought you dinner. I had to wait, for a long time to make sure everyone had gone to bed before coming.
The Queen requested that no one be allowed to serve you a meal. Until she has forgiven you  for what you did to her son."
"Thank you, Lydia, you've always been kind and fair to me, may the gods continue to bless you and keep you alive. So that I shall repay you. For you endless love and attention someday." I said.
After eating, Lydia packed the plates up and left thereafter.
I laid down on the floor until, starting at the ceiling, the dungeon was very dirty and dusty with all manner of cobwebs in it.
I had to stay awake for a very long time. Because sleep was very far away from me, I felt miserable and sorrowful
But Lydia, words kept echoing in my ears. And I loved Lydia, just as much as the latter does for me as well.