Chapter 14 Ebony and Ivory

3rd POV

A little girl sat in front of a piano. The sounds of her fingers dancing over the keys filled the room.

When she finished the song she was playing she frowned. She had played it relatively well but she had played a few notes wrong and faltered a bit too. She knew it was going to bother her for the rest of the day.

She began to play again, this time determined to do it perfectly. The room filled with the melody of the piano once again. While playing the girl noticed something. She stopped and listened. The soft strums of a ukulele could be heard.

She looked around and walked over to the open window

She looked around and walked over to the open window. She looked down to see a boy her age, sitting under the window sill, strumming a ukulele. He didn't seem to have noticed the piano had stopped. The girl leaned on the windowsill and listened to the soft pluck of the strings. It was soothing.

When the boy finished playing the girl applauded, "You're really good!"

The boy jumped and looked up at her, the girl smiled, "Hi, I'm Mari. What's-"

Before she could finish, the boy jumped up and sprinted to the fence and scrambled through a loose plank, and disappeared.

"-Your name....." she finished.

----------

Mari was sitting in a classroom, back straight, pencil case placed at the corner of her desk, pen, pencil, eraser, and highlighter all at the ready.

The teacher walked into the classroom, "Settle down." she snapped, the class obviously didn't listen and she had to bang on the blackboard to get her student's attention.

"We have a new student joining us today." she announced, making the class buzz with excitement.

"Quit!" the teacher yelled, then she turned to the door, "You can come in now."

There was a pause, and then the door to the classroom slowly creaked open. Mari's widened as she recognized the boy that walked in, it was the same boy, the one with the ukulele.

"Would you like to introduce yourself?" The teacher asked him.

The boy fidgeted for a moment and then opened his mouth, "I'm.... Y/n.... Hello....."

------------

Y/n walked through the cafeteria, looking for a place to sit.

He soon found an empty seat and sat down with his lunch. He was about to unpack it when someone sat down across from him.

Y/n glanced up nervously to see Mari, her own lunch in hand and smiling at him.

"Hi!" she said cheerfully.

Y/n didn't say anything. He just turned his gaze back down.

"Your that boy that I saw the other day right? The one with the ukulele." Mari continued.