Chapter 8

"I'm not much help to you guys," I said after we interrogated one of SHIELD's (Hydra's) men.

"Don't say that," Nat replied.

"No, really. I can't even protect myself. I don't even know how to shoot a gun," I sighed.

The man scoffed and looked at me with judgement in his eyes. Steve turned around from the passenger seat to glare at him, when suddenly there was a huge thump on the car, and the guy was pulled right out of the window from beside me and into the oncoming traffic.

Steve instinctively and immediately reached for me and pulled me up front into his lap as gunshots pelted the car. Panic filled Sam's eyes as he froze and Steve pulled on the stick shift to stop the car.

Whoever was on top of our car flew off onto the highway, his metal arm allowing him to dig his fake fingers into the cement and control his landing. He stood up slowly, his masked face covered by his long, brown hair.

Nat aimed to shoot at him, but we were slammed into from the back by another car, pushing us towards the mysterious figure. Steve clutched me tightly as we were thrust forward, stopping me from slamming my head against the dashboard.

We were speeding towards the man with the metal arm, and when it seemed like we were going to hit him, he jumped up and landed on the roof again. Sam tried slamming on the brakes, but then an arm broke through the windshield and pulled out the steering wheel.

"Shit!" Sam shouted and Natasha began shooting through the roof.

The mysterious man jumped off our car and onto the one behind us, leaving us to speed down the highway with no control. The car was swerving all over the place, until we hit a barrier, tilted, and Steve yelled, "hang on!" as he pulled me into him, his shield in one hand and Nat joined us. He broke the window off, the four of us falling out of the car as it somersaulted forward. Sam fell off at one point and rolled down the pavement.

I stood up quickly, just in time for Steve to push me and Natasha out of the way of an oncoming explosive. He held up his shield quickly, and it sent him flying over the side of the highway bridge. "Steve!" I cried as I tried to run to the edge and see where he went.

Nat grabbed my arm, "no, Diana! He's fine, but we have to go, come on!"

I hesitated, but let her pull me with her when bullets were fired at us. I hid behind a van and she fired back. "Go with Sam," she said and pushed me to follow him.

He grabbed my wrist and we ducked down behind a car. We watched as a group of men jumped over the side of the bridge, leaving one behind. Sam snuck up behind him and took him out, taking his gun.

I walked up to him slowly and watched as he took out some of the men below who were firing at Steve. "Go! I got this!" Sam yelled down to him and shot at the men.

He took a second to reload, and handed me a handgun from the ground. "I-I don't know how to use this," I said and tried to give it back to him.

"You and I both know that's not true," I tilted my head at him, "New York?" he reminded me and I remembered my encounter with Steve where I almost killed him under the influence of Loki's spell.

"But, I can't-"

He shook his head, "no. I'm not leaving Captain America's girl unarmed. If something were to happen to you..." he shook his head again and turned around again to continue shooting.

After a while, Sam took off running towards the car we were in earlier. I followed him, and watched him try to rummage through the trunk. "What are you doing?" I asked as he slipped a backpack over his back.