Chapter 4

"Are you sure we're supposed to be down here?" I asked Steve.

"I never said we were!" He said and pried open a big, metal door.

He double-checked to see if anyone was watching, and we slipped inside. There were rows and rows of big, silver crates and I couldn't see anyone. "Where-" he cut me off by putting his finger to my lips.

He bent a little, indicating that he wanted me to jump onto his back. I looked at him briefly before jumping on, trying not to laugh at how silly we must've looked.

Steve jumped up on a metal walkway, and walked towards some metal containers. There were weapons inside, and judging by his facial expression, Steve had seen them before, and not in a pleasant way.

A live feed video popped up on the communicator SHIELD provided for me; Natasha was trying to get information out of Loki. I looked at Steve, who was looking vigorously thought the metal containers, then turned my attention to the screen.

"I want to know what you've done with agent Barton," she said to him.

"I would say I've expanded his mind," he answered simply.

"And once you've won, once you're king of the mountain," she stepped closer to his container and crossed her arms, "what happens to his mind?"

"Oh...is this love, Agent Romanoff?" He asked and I could practically hear his grin in his voice.

"Love is for children, I owe him a debt," she replied.

"Tell me."

Natasha sat down, "Before I worked for SHIELD, I, uh...well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skill set. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me. He made a different call," she explained.

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?" Loki asked.

"Not let you out."

"No, but I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man."

"Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that. I'm Russian," she corrected herself, "or I was."

"And what are you now?"

She stood up again, "it's really not that complicated. I got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out."

"Can you? Can you wipe out that much red?" He paused, "Dreykov's daughter, São Paulo, the hospital fire?"

What? How would he know that information? I'm not even sure a lot of SHIELD agents knew it, but Natasha told me privately.

"Barton told me everything. Your ledger is dripping; it's gushing red, and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything? This is the basest sentimentality. This is a child at prayer. Pathetic! You lie and kill in the service and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code, something that makes up for the horrors. But they are part of you. And they will never go away," he slammed his fist on the glass, "I won't touch Barton, not until I make him kill you. Slowly, intimately, in every way he knows you fear. And then he'll wake just long enough to see his good work, and when he screams, I'll split his skull. This is my bargain, you mewling quim."

Natasha turned her back to Loki and sniffled, "you're a monster."

Loki laughed, "oh, no. You brought the monster."

Her face and emotion immediately changed and she faced him, "so, Banner. That's your play."

Loki looked confused, "what?"