Chapter 11

The party was starting to wind down when Steve and I returned inside; lots of people had left and the remaining few were our close friends.

Everyone was somewhat intoxicated, as we sat around a peanut shell-littered coffee table where Thor's hammer sat proudly. Steve's arm was draped around my shoulders as we lounged, and Maria and Tony were teasing him about something that happened while they were on their mission the other day.

"I'm never going to hear the end of that, am I?"

"Absolutely not," Natasha smiled as she sipped her beer.

I looked around at everyone's smiling faces and felt a sense of security in this brief moment. Clint was tapping drumsticks against his leg and I watched his eyes fall upon Thor's hammer, "so, I think all of that is bullshit," he spoke up.

"What do you mean?" Thor asked.

"Oh, 'only those who are worthy'. That's crap, I mean, you're messing with us, right?"

Thor shook his head.

"So, if I can pick it up, I'm 'worthy?'"

Thor chuckled, "sure."

Clint stood up, and everyone else's conversations ceased. We were all watching him now as he approached the hammer. He grasped it tightly and pulled. His veins were visible on his red face as he tried, but failed.

"Alright, my turn," Tony clapped his hands and patted Clint's shoulder as he stood.

"Tony..." I warned, but he ignored me.

"If I can lift it, I can rule Asgard, right?" my brother asked Thor.

Thor nodded and Tony wrapped the hammer's leather handle around his wrist, "it's physics," he stated.

"Physics. Right," Maria said sarcastically and shook her head at him.

Tony pulled. Still nothing. "Be right back," he said before walking away quickly.

He came back moments later with an iron hand from one of his suits. "That's cheating!" I laughed.

"Is it?" Thor asked, obviously well aware that the suit wouldn't help.

Tony tried again, but even with the help of his rockets, Mjolnir wouldn't budge. Rhodes eventually got up to help, but even with two iron fists, they couldn't lift Thor's hammer.

Defeated, Tony sat down again next to me as Bruce stood. I furrowed my eyebrows at him as he pulled hardly at the handle, a low growl rising in his throat before he let go and pretended to hulk up by yelling and shaking his hands. No one was amused.

I patted Steve's chest, "you should try."

He nodded and stood up, preparing himself to try and lift it. He pulled hard, and I looked closely at the hammer as it moved the slightest bit, my mouth falling open as I look over at Thor, whose expression was priceless. But, he smiled in relief as Steve was unable to move it anymore, and everyone else wasn't sober enough to witness what just happened.

"Nothing," Steve sighed as he sat back down beside me.

"What about you, Nat?" Clint asked.

"Yeah, that's not a question I need answered," she declined.

"Diana?" he turned to me.

"No, I'm fine."

"Aw, come on, sis," Tony patted my knee, "what's the harm?"

I sighed, setting down my full drink as I stood up. I walked towards the hammer and as my hands wrapped around the handle, I immediately regretted my decision. This was going to be so embarrassing, we all know I'm not going to be able to lift it.