Chapter 7

I didn't know Steve was home until he came into the living room with the baseball bat in his hand. He quietly came over to hug me, and Nick showed him a couple messages that I didn't see.

"Nice apartment you got here," Nick said to him rather loudly and showed me the messages.

Ears everywhere.

SHIELD compromised.

That would explain the injuries and why he's here. "Didn't know you had a key," Steve answered in the same tone.

"Did you really think I'd need one? Wife kicked me out. This was the first place I thought of."

Steve's face was solemn as he put the baseball bat back, "I didn't know you had a wife."

"There are a lot of things you don't know about me."

"Who else knows about your wife?"

"Just...you and me. Only friends know."

"Is that what we are? Friends?" Steve asked.

Nick tried to stand, but suddenly gun shots sounded and he was shot through the window in the chest. I screamed as I ran to his side, and Steve grabbed his shield and jumped out the window onto the roof of the next building.

I panicked as I ran to my cell phone and was about to call an ambulance when a woman rushed into the apartment with a gun, claiming she was ordered by Nick to watch over Steve. Nick was rushed to the nearest hospital and immediately brought into an operating room for surgery. I was joined soon by Maria Hill, Natasha and Steve. He held my hand tightly as we watched everything unfold before us from behind a glass window.

The heart monitor produced flatlines and I held my hand over my mouth as the operators tried to revive Nick. Tears fell from my eyes as the doctors pulled a white sheet up his body and I turned to cry into Steve's chest.

He rubbed my back as I looked at Natasha who was trying to hold back her tears, and at Maria who let a few loose.

We were lead to a different room where Nick was laying lifeless on a bed, and we had a chance to say goodbye. I kissed Nick's forehead and left the room while Steve and Nat talked. Maria was alone.

I walked back inside, "I'm really sorry," I said to her and placed my hand on her shoulder.

She didn't reply, but she put her hand on mine and turned her face towards me, nodding. I left her alone for a bit and found Steve waiting for me outside.

"Cap, we need you back a SHIELD," a man told him.

"Alright, give me a sec," he said and handed me a flash drive.

"Now," the man said.

"Okay," Steve answered and gestured his head towards the vending machine beside us.

He gave me a quick kiss, and turned to leave. I gave him a look of caution, but I knew he'd be fine. I hid the flash drive behind the bubble gum in the machine, and headed back to the apartment.

There was another note on the counter:

Diana,
If things ever go bad, here's Sam's number. We can't trust anyone else now. He'll take care of you -
Steve

I picked up my phone, holding the note in my hand, about to call the number. I adjusted my glasses and dialed the number on the paper.

"Hello?"

"Sam?" I asked cautiously.

"Yes, who is this?" He asked.

"Diana Stark, I'm a friend of Steve Rogers. You know him, right?"