Waitwhat!

I am not into labeling myself. I enjoy the thought of people reading my writings, enjoying what they read, and possibly acting upon the enjoyment to help them feel pleasure. I do not label myself as a writer, but I enjoy writing.

I understand that people may present themselves as one type of person on social media and another in real life. Unfortunately, that happens with firefighters too. However, some firefighters will use the, "I am a firefighter, so you should be sexually aroused now and think of me as a sexual king," card when they have no character or ability to woo someone.

I, for one, am not that type of person.

The calendar firefighter and the firefighter in television shows are a pale representation of the real, us. In order to be on the calendar, yes, you have to be a firefighter in some capacity. In order to play one on television, no firefighting skills are needed whatsoever.

A label my crew and I gladly accept, we lovingly call the "Waitwhat" firefighter.

We are the ones that blend in a crowd and do not turn heads with our handsome or beautiful features. Yes, we have male and female firefighters.

We are the ones that appear to have average bodies. Not the oiled-up, hulking, and always shirtless type. Although, we do have those types in the department.

We are the ones that look exactly the same as one another when we gear up and lose all sight once we enter a burning structure.

I am about to tell you how we received the wonderful label of the Waitwhat firefighters.

Many times our trucks will accompany the Medics for a medical call. We are used for lifting assistance, medical assistance, and safety. Sometimes we will make it to the scene before the medic arrives and we begin medical treatment.

My crew arrived on the scene of an injured person. Once we entered the home, we were directed to a bedroom at the back of the house. Once we arrived at the bedroom, we found an elderly lady that had injured her leg and hip.

As we began to enter the room, the patient had her back to us. The patient's daughter, on the floor and comforting her, looked up at us and said, "Oh, mom, the handsome firefighters are here."

Once we positioned ourselves in front of her and kneeled in order to begin patient care, the elderly patient said.

"Wait. What? Is this a trick? Where are the calendar guys?"

True story.