10 [read a/n at bottom]

the next day, the day after you and harry got milkshakes, you decided to message him. it was lunch break and you were sitting with tara and darcy.

"miss ma'am, i still dont know how you can be so in love with that straight man." tara said, and you laughed. she has been calling you miss ma'am since the day you met her.

"he's too straight for me." darcy said.

"he's not for you, darcy." you replied, looking up. harry hasn't replied, and you were a little worried, because harry always messaged you right back.

you decided not to stress about it, so you put your phone screen down and crossed your arms on the table.

"you know, i heard from charlie that him and nick are dating." darcy smiled.

"i know! i heard! i went over to nick's with charlie the other day and they told me!" you exclaim.

suddenly your phone dings, and you pick it up so fast you couldn't have timed it. you saw it was from harry and you smiled... until you saw what the message said.

~messages~

harry - hello, y/n, this is harry's mother.

y/n - hi mrs. greene. is everything okay?

harry - im so sorry but harry got in a very bad car crash.

~real life~

you looked up and darcy and tara were looking at you. you must have had a terrible expression on your face.

"y/n? what's wrong? why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" tara asked.

"i have to go now." you say, then dart out of the school.

darcy and tara jumped up and raced after you.

"y/n! Y/N!" darcy yelled.

"darcy, i don't have time! harry got into an accident, and may possibly be dead!" you keep running, until you get to the street, and flag a cab down.

"i may not like harry, but im coming too." tara said.

"me too." darcy added. 

you rolled your eyes a bit, but on the inside you were happy. you really wanted someone by your side.

all three of you hopped in the cab and the cab drove you.

"where to kid?" the driver asked.

"i asked his mom what hospital he's in, and she said *insert random hospital name*." you reply.

"got it kid." the driver replied.

"i dont like harry, but i hope he's okay, for your sake." darcy said, followed by tara nodding. 

the rest of the ride was silent, except for the driver trying to break it.

finally, you pulled up next to the hospital. you payed the driver, and you, darcy and tara raced inside.

"hi, uh... we're here to see harry greene?" you say, not sure of what to say to the counter lady.

"sure, just sign that sheet right there, and we'll point you in the right direction." the lady pointed to a sheet of paper with slots to fill with your name and time you went in and what room.

you filled the paper, then asked "i dont know what room."

"i'll look it up for you." the lady looked up the room number, and wrote it on the pad, and you and the two girls raced to the elevator, ready to get taken to see harry.

you were panicking. your mind was racing, your heart was beating, you were sweating, and you were shaking. darcy and tara noticed your body language and they each took one of your hands and held it until you got to the right floor.

stepping out of the elevator you took a deep breathe, and started walking to the right room, with darcy and tara still holding your hands.

you found the right room, and tara started to turn the handle. 

"wait." darcy said.

tara stopped, and turn to look at darcy.

"just know, that if we walk in there and harry looks like a corpse, i genuinely feel bad for you, and i will always be there for you." darcy squeezed your hand.

"me, too." tara said, and then continued to open the door. 

after the door was all the way open, you all peered inside and saw harry asleep in a hospital bed.

you let go of darcy and tara's hands and walked over to harry, slowly.

you picked up one of his hands and held it in yours. you watched as harry's chest went up and down from him breathing.

"harry... i dont know if you can hear me, but i love you. i want you back. you were so special to me no matter how much my friends hated you, and no matter how hard you pushed to make me yours. and now, i want to be. i wanted to see where we would go with this. with us. with what we had." you sighed. you watched harry for a second, then bit your bottom lip because you didn't know what to say.

tara and darcy stood there, taking it all in. realizing how much you loved harry.

you feel tears running down your face, and tara and darcy walk over and put their arms around you.

"y/n/n, dont cry." darcy whispers.

"we all know he loves you. dont cry." tara says.

it was the worst moment of your life, but in this minute, you felt the most comfort you've ever felt. sitting here, crying, having tara and darcy wrap their arms around you, and holding harry's hand.

-------------------

you must have fallen asleep like this, because the next morning, you woke up to something rubbing your hand. 

you fidgeted a little,  then looked up.

"harry? HARRY!" you exclaimed, and he laughed.

you hugged harry, and he hugged you back, and soon darcy and tara woke up as well.

"well, looks like he woke up, finally." tara said, smiling.

darcy crossed her arms.

"look, i promise im not going to say anything." harry said, when he saw darcy cross her arms.

"just visiting. you must be nice, then we're taking y/n home." tara said.

"i promise i'll be nice." harry said, rolling his eyes.

changing the subject, you said, "so what happened?"

"well, my dad... he wasn't watching the road... he was, well, and then we hit an oncoming car. i went through the windshield." harry said.

"harry... isn't your dad... an alcoholic?" tara asked politely.

"yeah. yeah, he is." harry replied.

"look, harry. i'm not going to beg to be your friend, but, we're all here for you." tara said, sitting down on the bed.

"but you're..."

"i know what i am, but that shouldn't take away from me being able to comfort you." tara smiled.

"okay, i guess." harry said. you saw a slight smile.

"i guess that means i'm in." darcy says.

"okay, fa-" all eyes turn to harry. "fantastic friend." he finishes. nice save.

-----------------

a/n: this chapter is based off of what happened to me today, 5-20-2022. the boy i fell in love with 5-16-2022  got into a car accident, but he didnt make it. i got a message from his mom, from his phone telling me the news. today, i realized who my true friends were. the most vulnerable ones. the ones made fun of for who they are. this true friend is gay, but probably the bestest friend i could ask for. she helped me today.