Enjoy the calm before the storm while it lasts

Tomorrow, that's the day.

It's the day of the school festival.

And the day where the fate of two worlds is decided.

Everyone was excited, most people didn't go to bed till 12. I wandered off earlier, making sure that the extractor was ready. This machine decided what would and wouldn't happen, I need to be confident that it'll work. I can't test it, only estimate and hope. Hope that it works.

I sigh, looking down at the machine. It was ready, I know it was ready. It had to be prepared. It had to work. It vanishes with a wave of my hand, I need to sleep tonight. I need to have enough energy for the performance, and whatever follows.

I flick the light off and flop onto my bed, the plush warmth of the rugs bringing me comfort. I'd noticed the amount of stress weighing on my mind, it wouldn't dissipate. The thoughts welled in my mind, what if this was the last time I saw anyone?

What if I die?

I try to shove the thoughts away and bury them deep, but that only causes the surface to crumble and the gaping hole to grow larger. Guilt grew. One person I knew would hurt.

I mumble to myself as I flick my bedside light on and grab my phone. We hadn't really talked since...

My soul tingled with guilt. I'd pushed him away like I always do. My finger hovered over the button, one button.

I owe him this.

I press the button

The phone buzzes, and just as I begin to contemplate hanging up, he answers. I take a deep breath.

"hey, aizawa." I murmur, the grip guilt had on my soul tightened.

"Hello, Sans." He says, the line falls silent. I bite down on my lip.

"i'm sorry." I mutter, the words were foreign, ones I didn't speak often. Not sincerely, at least.

"No, I pushed you. What you said was completely reasonable." He answers, I pause again.

"i want to answer your questions, all of them." I say, nodding my head at my decision. "after the festival, we can have a chat. you can ask all the questions you want, and I'll answer them all." I say, Aizawa seemed surprised.

"Alright." He answers. "You should sleep up then, you'll need enough energy for your performance." He says.

"planning to, i just wanted to get that off my chest," I say.

"Good night Sans. Sleep well." Aizawa breathes.

"goodbye, shota." I say before hanging up, those last two words. Was it idiotic to say that? Yes, now he'll be worried. But it felt right. I'd likely see him tomorrow, but that was my goodbye.

Just in case.

With that out of the way, I place the phone down, turn off the light and snuggle into my rugs. Sleep came easy and dreamless.

The calm before the storm.

~

~

~

Everyone in the class was nervous, even I was nervous. Everything was planned out, except for one thing. Midoriya wasn't here, I'd overheard someone say he went out to get rope earlier, but he wasn't back yet.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, I stared down at the notification. A cyberattack? On UA? I guess that feeling was right. I slink to the back of the class, pulling out my laptop. I look over the code, whoever this is, is highly skilled. My fingers hover over the keys for a moment, there is a good chance someone will catch me if I stay on too long. I needed to make this fast.