11

After the little incident in the teacher's lounge, the rest of my day is spent in complete and utter peace. When the bell finally signifying that school is out, I head home relieved.

As I'm heading for my house, I see my neighbor, Mr. Frederick Rogers, is waiting on my porch swing with a tin can on his lap.

I smile at the sight of him.

Mr. Fred is like a second grandfather to me. His late wife was the grandmother I never had. Grandpa divorced Nana when I was two. I don't remember much about her expect that she had the brightest red lipstick and wore dark green feather earrings that I used to try and pull at.

Mrs. Rogers never wore make-up or jewelry. I liked her a lot for that. She was natural and wrinkly.

"I brought cookies from the Bible study," Mr. Fred says.

His voice sounds like what sandpaper feels like.

For some reason I find comfort in that. I don't know why.

"How are you doing, Mr. Fred?" I ask finding my keys and unlocking the door.

"Quite well, Nicolas. How was your day?"

"So and so," I shrug. I open the door and invite him in.

It takes a century for Mr. Fred to get up. I would offer to help him, but I know asking would make him feel less than, then we'd get into a silly argument.

When he's finally on his feet he holds on to my arm in a soft grip and uses me for support which surprises me.

Once we're inside, I close the door behind us.

"What kind of cookies we got here?" I ask as we walk into my spacious kitchen.

"A variety. I grabbed a bunch from different platters."

He sets the tin can down on the table and lowers himself down into a chair.

"Coffee?" I ask hanging up my satchel on the hook.

"Yes, my boy."

I find a container of Puerto Rican coffee in my freezer. I only drink coffee when there's company. I prefer whiskey or vodka when I'm alone. Probably not the wisest habit now that I think about it.

I measure four tablespoons of the grounds into the filter.

"How was Bible Study?" I ask.

"It was...okay."

"Just okay?" I pour some cold water from the sink into the back of the coffee maker, set the pot in its little nest, then press the power button.

The coffee maker rumbles a little as it wakes up.

"Yeah. There was a new pastor there and he's a little harsh or whatever."

"In what way?" I take a seat across from him.

Mr. Fred scratches his stubbly chin."Well, he wanted us to confess our sinful pleasures, and when it was my turn I said that I sometimes smoke a cigar every now and then, and you should have heard the man, Nick. He went into this awful fit calling me a sinner, condemning me to Hell, and on and on. It wasn't just me he attacked though. He had some tongue lashing for every single person there. I didn't like him much."

"I haven't met the guy and I don't like him much either."

We laugh for a while then Mr. Rogers gets serious."How are you holding up, my boy?"

"I'm fine."

"I don't have my glasses so I can't see your facial expression but your voice doesn't sound fine."

I shrug.

"I know it's a hard day for you today," he says.

"It's a hard day for you too," I remind him.

Mrs. Rogers passed away from a massive pulmonary stroke the night of my almost wedding.

Mr. Fred nods."It is."

"I loved her." he sounds defeated and broken. He sounds how I feel."Abigaila was a special woman. She was everything I wished I was."

Mr. Fred brushes at the tears forming at the corners of his eyes."I wish I would have died before her because some days the pain of her not being by my side hurts too much."

"I get it."

And I do.

"Have you gotten in contact with your father?"

"Why should I?" I didn't exactly mean for my voice to come out sounding all snappy but it does.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I wanted to bite your head off."

Mr. Fred laughs lightly."No worries, my boy. I know it's a touchy subject for you."

The kitchen is now filled with the sweet aroma of the coffee.

"I think it's ready," I say getting up. I grab down two mugs from the cupboard. One is in the shape of a koala bear with the handle being its tail the other mug is just that; a mug with the words 'COFFEE IS MY NIRVANA' on both sides of the handle.

I bring the mugs and pot to the table.

Mr. Fred takes the koala. "Now this is just pure genius."

I nod my agreement pouring us both some coffee. Usually I like my coffee sweet and creamy, but since Mr. Fred drinks his bitter black, I man up and do the same. It is really not so bad once you get used to the taste of it.

I hold up my coffee."Toast to us lonely bachelors and in the hope that we might someday find another woman worthy of our love."

Mr. Fred shakes his head."I'm too old to be chasing skirts now, son, but I will toast in the hopes that you will find a woman worthy of your love."

With that he raises his mug and clinks it against mine.

"Cheers to you, kiddo."

"Cheers."

Mr. Fred opens the tin of cookie and takes a chocolate chip one.

"Bet it'll taste good with coffee," he says dipping the side of it in his coffee.

"Don't double dunk though," I chuckle.

I don't really feel like eating anything but I take Monster cookie so he doesn't feel bad he brought them all this way.

The cookie isn't soft and chewy. Instead it's crumbly and tastes like dirt.

What a lousy recipe.

I finish the thing anyway and wash it down with my coffee.

"Wanna watch something on the telie?"

I find it amusing how Mr. Fred never just says TV like everyone else.

"What do you want to watch?" I ask.

"I'm not really sure." He grabs another cookie and wolfs it down in a matter of seconds.

"Some basketball?" I suggest.

He shrugs."I'm up for that."