24

The drive to L.A. is long. Three hours long to be exact. Forest slept the entire time, which surprised me. I would have thought she'd stay awake the whole time, talking my ears off.

We get there around eleven a.m.

As soon as I park the car, Forest is wide awake.

"We're here. Yay."

She jumps out and starts heading down the trail.

"Wait, for me," I call out.

I don't even know why I am doing this to begin with.

For goodness sakes, I have cops on my tail and here I am in Los Angeles, California taking a road trip with my student who I seem to be having a semi-relationship with.

I get out of the car and follow her.

"It's just as beautiful as I remembered," she says stopping and bending down to scoop a handful of water.

"The water feels so cool."

"Oh, that's nice."

"I think I am going for a swim."

"Are you sure tha-"

It is no use trying to change her mind. She's already stripping down. As much as looking away would be the gentlemanly thing to do, I cannot help but watch.

She has a nice body. More average I suppose. She does not have a bikini body, but it is not like she's overweight or anything.

Just perfect.

For me anyway.

"Are you going to stand there and make sheep's eyes at me or are you going to come in."

"I'm not much of a swimmer."

"Whatever."

She tiptoes into the water and shrieks in joy.

"It's colder than I thought," she laughs throwing a splash at me.

I move to the side, before the water can hit me.

"Everything isn't always what it seems the first time," I say.

"You got that right."

"At first I thought you were a gilipollas but turns out you're not so bad after all."

"Thanks? I guess?"

"I do mean it as a compliment."

"Thank you then."

The waves crash to the shores. Right over her clothes.

She laughs."Well, there go my clothes."

"At least it's warm enough and the sun will dry them off in a matter of minutes," I say.

Forest scoops up some water and splashes her face. She shrieks again and throws her hands in the air."I feel so alive. California, baby, I love you."

She's drawing quite a lot of attention.

I see a group of what looks like hippies several feet away from us now beginning to stare at her.

"Okay," I say gathering up her wet clothes."I think it's time you get out of there and get dressed."

"Oh, why? I'm having so much fun."