Part 7

(Notice how so far every chapter has been 4k words or more, meaning that now the standard is set and I physically can't end a chapter without making it to the 4k mark. *distressed wheezing*

But hey! At least, on the bright side, stuff like this is what keeps me invested in writing these books, because I actually have a challenge! So that's a definite plus!)

-

You all arrived at last at the barn when the sun was waving goodbye to the sky, already mostly gone by this point. Through the darkly covered grass, the children ran to the warmly lit barn and the happy, festive music radiating from inside. The rest of you adults trudged through the tall grass after them... Heh.. strange finally being able to call yourself an adult...

The music and cheery chatter was still distant at the time, meaning the roaring insects and screeching grass were the loudest things at the moment. Herobrine walked alongside you silently. Oddly more quiet than usual. Whatever your dad said to him must have really hit hard..

"So, how old are you turning?" The man suddenly spoke up, surprising you a little. You were rather enjoying the peace and near quiet night.

"Uh- 20!"

"Oh...wow. That was fast..."

"And yoouuu'rrreee... 607..?"

"Hm... Correct." Herobrine seemed impressed that you had remembered. The two of you strode in silence again, Herobrine purposefully dragging his pace some to sync up with yours. You two were nearly there; the music much louder now, by the time Hero spoke again. "Aand, what should I expect from this event?"

"Chaos." You laughed, taking that as your cue to race ahead. Herobrine teleported to the large sliding barn doors before you, turning back with a smirk only to tease. You punched the Immortal's shoulder as you ran past him into the barn.

It was beautifully decorated! So homey and festive. Lights were strung in rows from one side of the barn to the next, typical autumn colors mixed with light blues and yellows. All of the hay had been cleared from the main space, shoved along the distant wall to form one massive wall of its own. In front of it, a little wooden stage held a couple uncles and neighbors. As a collective, they played the lively music everyone was already dancing to. Danny hopped up on stage right as you arrived with his harmonica and played, slapping his knee to the music along with a few others. Your younger siblings were teaching the even younger cousins how to dance right: the Texan Cotton Eyed Joe with a hint of Georgian flair mixed in.

You jumped right in with a wide smile stretching across your face. As everyone danced to the beat, family both distant and not --along with close neighbors and old friends-- all wished you a happy birthday.

Herobrine stood oddly off to the side, simply unable to compute what was going on. A couple little kids teased him for being a bad dancer even though he hadn't attempted yet, one little girl even tried to teach him. But Hero wasn't having it. Reluctantly, the man stood leaned against the barn wall with his arms tightly crossed over his chest.

"Your man's got sore legs or something?!" One of your dearest childhood friends: Andrew --a short (about your height) but feisty lad always up for adventure-- said shimmying past you. You waited for him to come back around before answering.

"Nah! He just never dances like this!"

"Then you should teach 'im! It'd be fun to watch!"

"Hah! If he'd be willing to embarrass himself like that!" Abiding to the suggestion, you slowly made your way out of the crowd and over to the somewhat amused man. You were sweating up a storm already after only a few minutes! Panting, you stopped next to Herobrine and gave yourself a moment to catch your breath. "You should join us!" You exclaimed over the music and occasional joyous hollers.