Act 1, Chapter 7 - An Eye in the Sky Over The Emerald Forest

Timeskip: Exactly 11 minutes and 48 seconds later

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" shouted Volt as he let rip with the 25mm minigun on the Pave Low. It swooped and swerved as it dodged all the black projectiles that came at it. Any of those winged creatures that were unlucky were caught in the crossfire of the powerful Vulcan minigun.

Down on the ground, the 101 continued to fight off these creatures, occasionally switching to their melee when they got too close. Except for Hunter: his SMG weapons deal virtually no damage at all as they were meant for quick close-quarter engagements, so he opted to use his duel knives to get the job done, and he's doing a hell of a good one. Whenever one of the flying creatures get too close to one of his squad mates, he fights tooth and nail with it, latching onto its back with his knives then stabbing the creature repeatedly until it bled out from the one too many puncture holes he gave it.

After some time, there were none left. The whole forest floor's now littered with decomposing bodies of these creatures, spent ammunition casings and sharpened projectiles stuck into everything but the soldiers as they watched the bodies decay.

"Captain!"

The squad turned to see Eagle jumping down from the trees, his sniper rifle holstered.

"Look what I got!"

He shows them the object he held: three chess pieces: a gold pawn, a gold rook and a black knight.

"Woah! Where'd you get these, Eagle?" asked Rook.

"Found them inside of a ruined monument while I was chasing down a winged b*st*rd who got away, also found a bunch of other chess pieces, but I had to take some to show you guys."

"Where is this monument?" asked Tank, hefting his machine gun.

"Not that far, about 5-10 minutes walk this way," Eagle said, pointing in the direction he came from.

"Should we investigate, captain?" Hunter asked.

"Well, its not like we've got anything else to go on about this world, so might as well have to," said Dagger.

He switched his comm on.

"Phantom, Volt,"

"Yeah?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Stay out of range and activate Optical Camo. If there are contacts and they are hostile, I don't want them to find you guys out soon, ok?"

"Oui, Dagger. Activating Op Camo."

Phantom flicked a lever and the whole Pave Low shimmered into nothingness.

"Squad, move up." commended Dagger.

With that, the 101 started traveling towards the ruined monument, with Eagle and Hunter free-running through the forest trees as it was faster than the ground route.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the forest, Yang and Blake step out into a clearing that reveals the circular stone temple, broken and decrepit but for the platforms around its inside, holding several black and gold objects.

"Think this is it?" Yang asked.

In response, Blake gives Yang an incredulous look and heads down the hill, her partner following. They walk across the floor and observe the items on each pedestal, now shown to be familiar shapes.

"Chess pieces?" Blake asked, confused as she looks at a black king.

"Some of them are missing. Looks like we weren't the first ones here."