the traveller

Mia's POV

I pull out the worn down photo out of the back pocket of my jeans, smoothing it out to the best of my abilities. Even though I could draw the picture with my eyes closed, I find peace in looking at it. Especially at this time of night.

It reminds me as to why I'm here; why I'm starving on the side of the road with nothing but a duffel bag full of clothes. 

It's all for him.

I see head-lights in the corner of my eye, causing me to jump to my feet with a start, pushing my chocolate colored hair out of my eyes. I quickly stash the photo away, just for safe-keeping's, as I stick out my thumb.

As much as it sickens me to do so, I push my chest out slightly as well. I've found to have a higher success rate when I flaunt what I have for the drivers to see, hoping one of them will show me pity. I mutter a prayer under my breath that it's not a cop. I've been lucky so far, let's hope it doesn't run out now. 

A smile spreads across my face as the car slows down and pulls to a stop in front of me. The window rolls down to reveal a car full of young kids, probably all around my age. They look at me like I'm a walking adventure. I'm sure the thrill of a hitchhiker is fulfilling their need for excitement.

"Where you headed?" The guy in the driver seat asks, leaning over a rather pretty girl in the passenger seat. She eyes me up as if she were sizing up her competition.

There's no surprise that the men are much more friendly and willing to help out than the women are. A few judgemental women have even pulled up just to spit in my face. 

It's funny how people see you and think they have you all figured out. 

"Out East, as far as you'll take me," I explain, knowing very well that nobody here in Nevada will drive me all the way to New Jersey.

"We're headed to Las Vegas, is that okay?" The man frowns, knowing that Las Vegas is only another hour and a half drive from where we are.

Well, if it's less distance that I'll have to walk, it's fine by me.

"Perfect," I smile and nod, eagerly grabbing my small duffel bag that I've been toting around with me for the past week and a half. 

The guy in the back seat holds the door open for me and grabs my bag. I can't help but to be on the defensive side as I grip my bag closer to me. Everything to my name is in this bag. If something were to happen to it, I'd be screwed. 

The car peels off and the breeze hits my face through the open window, feeling incredible. For being mid-November, it's ridiculously hot. That's the west coast for you. I certainly wasn't complaining about the heat when I was forced to sleep outside without any sort of blankets to cover up with.

I can feel everyone in the car's eyes on me as we sit in silence. They can't be much older than me at 21 years old. If I were still back at home in California, would I be doing something similar to this? Taking a road trip with my friends? Probably not, but the thought brings a slight smile to my face.

"So, traveller, what's your story?" The man in the driver's seat looks at me through his rear-view mirror, sounding friendly enough.

"What makes you think I've got a story?" I remark back, unable to bite my tongue.

Luckily they don't seem to be affected by my attitude. The guy sitting next to me even lets out a laugh, wearing an amused grin. 

"You're hitchhiking for fun then?" He comments back, looking at me with doubt very evident on his face.

I wish.

"Well, sure, you've got a point there. But everybody has a story, don't they? What makes mine so special?" I shrug, hugging my knees to my chest as I let my eyes glance out of my window, watching the Nevada scenery fly by me.

Even if I did tell them my story, it's not like they'll understand. I highly doubt any of them have felt a love so strong that they'd be willing to walk across the country for the person. No sane person would. 

Any person I tell my story to just simply laughs and warns me not to go chasing some 'Nicholas Sparks' dream fairytale. 

Why shouldn't I? There needs to be more stories like them out there. The kind of stories where love conquers all. It's stories like those that give me hope; that keep me going; that give me the extra push when I'm lying on the side of the road with hunger pangs so intense that I could pass out.

The kids in the car let my words settle, each in their own thought bubble. I take the moment of silence to close my eyes and allow my body to relax.

Everybody does have a story, but I suppose mine is special in it's own way...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN: Hey all!<3 I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter of my BRAND NEW fanfiction! It's the second in the 'Inspirations' set of books! So if you haven't read 'Inspirations' yet, I suggest you do! (Even if you have no urge to read that book, this book should still make sense!) So, all you Havia fans, don't worry, your favorite couple will be in the story as well, but our main focus will be Mr. Louis Tomlinson :)

So as always, leave your thoughts! Tell me your opinion on this brand new story! Are you just as excited as I am? DOUBTFUL! Hahah :)

Thanks again for reading,

-Never_Let_Me_Go