four

It was going to be midnight in a few minutes and both Wafa and Shahzaib are sound asleep in their respective places.

Wafa was going to fall from the sofa as she lay on its edge, resting carelessly. Sleeping on the sofa was not the most comfortable experience. Their deep and peaceful slumber was disturbed by a loud ringtone that woke her up with a jerk. She was confused for a second wondering what the heck has happened. It sure wasn't her ringtone. But looking at the caller ID, she sighed hopelessly.

"What is wrong with you, Zuni? Why would you do that in the middle of the night? What's that horrible music that you changed as my ringtone." She grumbled annoyedly while staring at the wall clock and then her eyes automatically moved to the person who was sound asleep, despite the loud ringtone.

Wafa's breath hitched as she gazed at his sleeping figure, he slept in an uncomfortable sitting position. Like he didn't mean to sleep but slept without realising himself. He didn't even remove his spectacles.

It almost felt illegal as she noticed how good-looking he was, even while asleep. His lashes were long and beautiful, making her almost envious. Why do most boys have such long and good-looking lashes? And gosh that jawline!

She snapped back to reality when her friends yelled in the call, "what happened, Wafa? Are you there?" She bit her lips, feeling embarrassed by her blatant staring. What was wrong with her?

"I'm here, just got zoned out. Sorry." She murmured sleepily, turning her gaze away from him. Who was still sound asleep albeit an uncomfortable one.

"Happy birthday, idiot!" Zunera wished excitedly.

"Yes! Happy birthday, my dear waffles. You're freaking twenty-two! How does that feel to become so old?" Humera yelled in between, Wafa was blank for a second but a small smile adorned her face as she realised it was indeed her birthday.

"Thank you, Zuni and Humi." They call her exactly at twelve every year for the past four years and yell into the phone just like this. They were so precious and Wafa felt lucky to have such wonderful friends, who sacrifice their sleep to wish her on her birthday exactly at twelve. It was so silly yet so thoughtful. It meant a lot to her. 

"But it's not that old!" She mumbled sleepily while standing up from the sofa. A yawn escaped her lips as she rubbed her eyes.

"We are going to have so much fun tomorrow." Zunera laughed while Wafa yawned once again, she was still very sleepy and tired. The last two days have been so exhausting.

"Can't wait," She said with a straight face, not sounding excited at all. Her friends booed her for her unenthusiasm. She sighed whilst trying not to fall asleep as she slumped back on the sofa.

Who even invented the idea of wishing at midnight? He must have no sleep, Wafa thought grumpily.

"Okay, we know you're a sleepyhead. It's your birthday, so we're letting this pass. Good night," Wafa hummed before hanging upon them. She lay on her face, trying to fall asleep again. 

"Ugh!" She sat up straight and eyed the clock once again. It was 00:08. How was she going to fall asleep again?

Her sleep disappeared completely now. Thanks to her wonderful friends!

Wafa has this bad habit of not being able to fall asleep easily once she wakes up, it was so annoying in times like this when sleep was the only good thing that she looks forward to.

It helps her forget about how messed up real life has become, with her being married and all.

Her eyes travelled towards the bed once again. Shahzaib still had his spectacles on. He uses it only when he gets headaches. Something that she has come to notice in their three weeks of marriage.