sixteen

The morning after arrived soon.

Four more days until her field trip and Wafa already felt the void of Shahzaib's absence. It was like a huge distance has been created between them even before she left. It made her sad.

Wafa hadn't rested a wink last night. And strangely, even Shahzaib didn't sleep much. She noticed that while tossing to and fro on the bed, attempting to keep the overwhelming emotions at bay. It was a frustrating night overall.

Her eyes remained closed for a while as she contemplated if she wanted to wake up or not, as her thoughts drifted back to last night again.

Dinner was a silent affair, neither of them spoke a word to the other. She didn't know if it was because of her sudden coldness, but Shahzaib too didn't make any efforts to talk with her, which was so weird.

Did he finally decide that he doesn't want to be a part of her life anymore? A fear which was deeply rooted in her heart for a long time woke her up with a jerk. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead as she glanced at him sideways. Her heart rate was unsteady as she leaned against the headrest, trying to compose herself.

What are you doing to me, Shahzaib Hussain?

His alarm blared off in the middle of her unsettled thoughts, causing him to wake up slowly. Wafa sat there as she watched his hands move towards his phone and snoozed that thing. He blinked open his eyes softly and the first thing he saw was her. She bit her inner cheeks, staring right back at him. There was a silence of a few seconds before he too sat up. She averted her head, looking at the wall instead.

There was something about his morning face, something so raw and fresh. Without any worries or tension. It was missing today. He looked tensed about something.

Both of them stood up from the bed at the same time as Wafa tied her hair in a messy bun. She didn't dry it properly last night and a loud sneeze escaped her nose instantly. Reminding her of her blunder. Followed by a few other sneezes one after the other.

She has caught a cold. Her eyes went wide as she subtly eyed him, who was frowning but he didn't say anything. But it looked like he wanted to.

Strange. Not wanting to argue with him so early in the morning, Wafa walked towards the bathroom instead but was startled in surprise as his hand held the doorknob at the same time as her.

They both eyed each other and then at their hands. His large hand was on top of her tiny one. She felt a fuzzy and warm feeling inside her stomach at just the mere contact. But she held the door first. Clearly.

"You can use it first, it's your home after all." Wafa didn't know why she felt the need to comment on the last part. But she was bitter and her anger seemed to have clouded her mind, not letting her think straight. A strange emotion passed through his eyes before he furiously held her hands, pulling her close to him, his eyes held hurt and disappointment, "just use it. Stop annoying me so early in the morning."

She opened her mouth to complain but he gave her one look, before storming out of the room while she stood there watching his disappearing back. Her heart rate spiked rapidly, reminding her of everything that is wrong with their marriage.

Wafa sighed as she walked inside the bathroom, but she made sure to slam the door loudly. It was so childish, she was aware and yet couldn't help it. She felt furious at herself for getting herself into this awkward situation. It was so much better when they were just hating each other.

***

The breakfast was another awkward affair. She was heating the leftovers from last night and brewing the coffee for herself while simultaneously making his favourite black tea. This was their routine for a while now. But the air around them was thick with tension this morning as not a single word was exchanged.