twenty

The sky was tar-black the next morning, as it rained continuously ever since three a.m. Their areas were given a red alert and the people were told to stay home safely, Wafa couldn't be happier about it.

She sighed whilst walking towards their balcony, where Shahzaib was lounging in silence as he watched the rain. They haven't spoken much since waking up. She knew they had to though.

She walked near him slowly as he looked up at her, with a sheepish grin she made herself comfortable on his lap whilst looping her arms around his neck. He looked surprised but happy with her impulsive move.

"Are you still angry?" Wafa asked softly, he blinked in no.

"I didn't mean to disappoint you, Shahzaib." She whispered sadly, he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her more into him if that was possible.

"Trust me, I know. I'm sorry for being a jerk about it too. It's just lately you don't have time for me," Wafa's heart accelerated as she understood the vulnerability hidden behind those words.

"You didn't even call me the day before yesterday, it was pretty late. I was hoping you'd call and check up on me you know." Her face fell at his words. She didn't know even her smallest of actions made such a difference.

"I-"

"I know, Wafa. You don't do it intentionally. It's just I was so habituated to having you all for myself, your care and attention and it's annoying when you don't have so much time for me anymore. It makes me sound so selfish. But I guess I am selfish." He sighed whilst gazing into her eyes.

"But I know this is my problem, you are trying your best to strike a balance and these exams are really important. So please let me be. I'll be okay,"

Wafa understood that it was his childhood insecurities creeping in. He was abandoned of love and was not given much care or attention in childhood and suddenly she came along, giving him all the love and attention he ever deserved. It is hurting him to see her stop doing that, even for a short while.

And she felt guilty even though she knew it was not her fault. It was no one's fault really.

Not Shahzaib's for wanting her undivided attention nor Wafa's for concentrating on the finals.

"I'm sorry for ignoring you at the office too," He looked away as if regretting his action. Wafa huffed as she remembered it, "yeah. You hurt me there."

"I know," He sighed.

She placed a kiss along his jawline, "I didn't know my ignorance was hurting you, Shahzaib."

It wasn't ignorance per se. But she had other things to concentrate on for the last two months or so and his moodiness was starting to make sense suddenly.

Because it wasn't the first time that Wafa had to cancel something at the last moment. It had happened thrice at least.  Shahzaib was very understanding at first but now not so much.

It seemed a mess. But she knew they could take care of this.

"You weren't ignoring me, Wafa. You were just doing something else that's important for your future." His hands moved to cup her face, "as I said, it's my problem. I will work on it. Don't beat yourself up," And then his lips were on hers, kissing her ever so tenderly and softly. She closed her eyes, enjoying the warmth of his lips. It was soft and slow, giving her all the feels.

Wafa loved his kisses. They always leave her wanting for more. She blushed at that thought as they broke apart.

"I couldn't sleep well last night, guess we should really be adults and talk about our problems instead of moving to the guest room," Wafa chuckled as she pecked his lips again, not wanting to stop just yet.