twenty two

The privileges of the rich were endless and so was Wafa's hate for them.

They could get away with anything just because they had money it seemed, even from killing someone.

Wafa couldn't believe how her mother has played with her like that, tears threatened to fall down her cheeks but she kept a straight face, not wanting to give Ifrah the satisfaction of breaking her. Her heart was a mess altogether though.

The vile woman stood with an evil smile plastered on her face.

"Get out," Wafa couldn't stand the sight of Ifrah any longer, afraid she'd throw something at her.

Oh, how she wished to do just that.

"I don't want to repeat myself, Ifrah. Out of my home. Right now,"

Ifrah's face changed as she mentioned the word, my home. As if she was surprised Wafa is still willing to stay here. Despite all her efforts to break them apart.

"GO!" Wafa pushed her out at once, with all the force she had, and slammed the door in her face.

"Wafa," Shahzaib tried to get hold of her hands but she shrugged it off furiously, "don't,"

"Please," He pulled her hands anyway, not willing to give up. She looked at him painfully and tears filled her eyes unknowingly and it made him more regretful if anything. She couldn't care less though.

She began to second-guess everything that they have shared so far. What if he was compromising to stay with her just for the sake of it? Was that all fake? Just to help his father stay out of jail?

No. It can't be... She was getting it all wrong, she knew it deep within. But her mind was not in the right place at the moment.

"Leave me, Shahzaib. I don't want to say something hurtful. I'm really mad right now," Wafa's voice quivered at the end, he was not ready to let go.

"I'm sorry," He looked genuinely apologetic, and her heart pained as she finally let out a sob and swung at his chest, "You don't understand how much it hurts, Zaib." And that was it for her as she had a full-blown meltdown while he pulled her into his arms, holding her as close as possible, stroking her hair softly as she cried against his chest.

It was so ironic how the one who caused her the pain is comforting her. They remained like that for a few minutes, as she cried silently in his arms.

"Gosh. Leave me." She realized what was happening and pushed him away, feeling angry at herself for melting away so easily.

Shahzaib's face paled as she distanced herself from his hold, "I need to be alone. Please. Leave me. I really don't want to cause any more damage, I'm not myself when I'm angry."

Wafa does have anger issues and she didn't want it coming in between her and Shahzaib, not when their marriage is in such a fragile place at the moment.

"Okay. I'll leave you alone, but please don't cry." He tried wiping off her tears but she stepped away with a shake of her head, walked into their room, and slammed the door on her way.

Her legs were shaking as she sank to the floor, trying to get hold of herself but the tears wouldn't stop. Wafa felt miserable. Everything felt like a lie.

She didn't know what to believe anymore.

"Oh, and the only reason why he married you was because he wanted to help his dad from going to jail. That was the deal. You were just a deal, don't be so full of yourself alright?"

Ifrah's words still made her feel sick in the stomach.

She knew that Shahzaib was forced into their marriage, but knowing the real reason was making her even more uneasy and angry, and frustrated.