nineteen

Six months later:

The music was subtle and soft as Wafa continued to write her assignments, literally on the verge of falling asleep.

She'd played the music in the hopes that it would keep her awake but it was not helping. On top of it, her finals are coming up in two weeks. Most of her time is caught up with studies these days.

But it will be all worth it, she told herself whilst scribbling on the A4 sheet again. The knob of their main door clicked open, catching her momentary attention.

Her husband walked in with an unusual frown on his face. It only deepened as their eyes clashed. She was writing endlessly almost forgetting that he was running late. It was close to midnight.

But Wafa understood that he would have a good reason to stay back late and she passed him an apologetic smile whilst pointing at her assignments. Shahzaib shook his head uninterestedly and strode towards their room.

It's usually their thing that she'd wait for him to come back home and then attack him with kisses and hugs which would then end up becoming something more somedays. They'll also have coffee together, discussing their day. It was a fun routine. The one which they randomly picked up after she came back from her field trip. Warmth filled her heart as she recollected those moments.

And it felt like ages ago since they last did that.

Wafa was too caught up with studies to spare a minute for anything else these days. She knew Shahzaib would understand. He always did.

She clicked her tongue whilst gazing at his retreating figure, trying to recall if she has done something to upset him. Something felt off with the way he just walked. There was nothing she could recollect, so she continued her work. Her eyes were getting closed in tiredness but she was stubborn to finish this before dawn. The music was not helping so she turned it off annoyedly.

The past six months have been a roller coaster, to say the least. There have been many ups and downs. They grew close. Their marriage life was great. It became as real as it could get. But there were also bad days. Days which would sometimes make Wafa question if they were even meant to be together, for both of them were equally stubborn and egoistic. Their fights have always been on the edge. But somehow they make up and life just went on.

So, Wafa wasn't really sure what was wrong with Shahzaib right now as she couldn't recall them fighting over something recently. She'll ask him later, she thought and continued writing. But her eyelids felt really heavy, making it hard for her.

A surprised yelp escaped her lips as she felt herself being lifted into the air out of nowhere.

"What the hell, Shahzaib?" She narrowed her eyes as he scooped her in his arms, "shush." He still looked angry, so Wafa didn't try to defy him but she was curious about what was it with him.

"I should write," She argued as he dropped her on their bed. She bounced a little before sitting straight as she passed him a look of annoyance.

"Lie down." Shahzaib pushed her back on the mattress forcibly, scowling at her, "have you seen yourself, Wafa?"

She opened her mouth but he gave her a look that said- don't even start. He was angry but the hidden care behind his actions made her heart skip a few beats.

"I understand that studies are important. But not at the cost of your health. Have you even eaten anything?"

Wafa looked away immediately, wincing as she has completely forgotten about that part. It slipped her mind because they'd usually have dinner together and she didn't even cook anything, to begin with. She could feel his heated gaze upon her.