"Loser..."

Hope:

"... love outweighs wealth, and wisdom." I was brought back to the present as one of my students finished her report concerning Paris and the three golden apples.

Three years ago I wandered these halls as a student, much like these young hopefuls before me. Now, I stand on the very same spot... as a professor.

The bell rang, signaling the end of one of my many classes in Greek Mythology, and everyone started fixing their belongings.

"Read about the dedicated priestess who was cursed by Athena for having sex with the god Poseidon in one of her temples. I'll see you guys tomorrow." I announced to the entire class as they all moved out of the room in an organized manner.

"Hey bestie! Any word from that tutorial company we both applied for?" Glen, my bestfriend since college days asked as he sashayed his way to me.

"Nope. You?" I asked, stuffing my papers inside my leather portfolio.

"No. I was hoping they called you first though. You have such nice things, you know that? Your shoes, your bags, your belts. They're classy... much like you."

"You can thank my lucky stars that I have a shoemaker for a father." I winked.

"So, Saturday? The whole faculty will be going to the potluck. I'm looking forward to Josie's meatloaf... and seeing her hunk of a husband again."

"Must you flirt with Dennis eventhough he's married?" I sighed, exasperated.

"It's just harmless flirting. Josie knows it."

"Still! It's manners unbecoming of an instructor. Sets a wrong example to the student populace."

"Oh please, what do they care! These kids are more scandalous than we ever were at their age. Loosen up Hope."

"No. Shant. Won't. I believe in proper decorum. How you conduct yourself in public says a lot about your morals and beliefs."

"You should've been a nun."

"I could still apply." And we both giggled.

Glen and I were both gay. Proud and about, or so he says. Everyone knew of our sexual orientation.

His family, being strict Catholics disowned him. My family on the other hand seemed to rejoice, or not give a rat's ass to what I turned out to be so long as I brought home the much needed money. All they really cared about was that I provided for them.

I have two younger siblings.

Faith was younger by two years than me. She fell madly in love with a hunky gym instructor named Brent, married him, and now have two adorable daughters. Unfortunately, Brent's income isn't that stable, hence uncle Hope to the rescue every once so often.

Chastity, or Chace, my younger brother was a nerd of a guy. Well into books, and philosophical debates. He spends most of his time reading and working at the shoe factory just like my father. Their income combined barely equalled my earnings, so I was still needed to shell out the extra moolah for food and bills.

"Hey, you spaced out." Glen complained.

"Sorry, I was just... thinking."

"About?"

"I don't know Glen. Life, I guess. Is this all I'm good for? Providing for my family? Don't I get to be happy too? Carefree? Safe? Secure? I'm ageing as we stand here you know."

"You think too much. That's your problem."

"Well someone has to. Nobody in my family seems to be planning for the future. They're all content with running to me for every single problem."

"That's because you spoil them."

"No, I don't."

"Yes. You do. When was the last time you said no? To a new dress for one of your nieces, a new much needed furniture replacement, home repairs like a leaking roof, or extra payment on tuition for your younger brother. You have to, no... you need... to say no. Atleast once in a while."

"How? They can barely stand on their own two feet."

"Having you rescue them each time they're in a bind won't teach them to do so Hope."

"I guess you're right. My money and time is spent solely on my family that I seldom get to buy anything for myself. Much less go out and party."

"Come to the potluck this Saturday, and have fun for once. Who knows, you could meet somebody."

"I'm not looking."

"Besides, you're married anyway."

"I'm what?"

"Married. Lucian. Remember?"

"Oh gosh, that was like ages ago. I wonder how he is. Or who he is."

"The guy has no social media account. I tried searching for his name, and it always yielded zero results. Must be an old, ugly, hobo."

"Hey, that's not very nice. We are talking about my husband here. Show a little respect."

"Fine. Maybe not so old." And we both laughed as we walked to the school's entrance.

"Still, I wonder what his life is like. Does he have kids. Is he well. Is he happy? Eventhough we were just married for a few seconds on paper, I still can't help but think of what he's like."

"Probably a loser."

"Like me?"

"Oh bestie, you know you're not a loser. You've got me! I'd say you hit the jackpot." Glen giggled as we rounded the bend to wait for a bus that would take us home.