"Accident..."

Hope:

"How could you let this happen?"

"It was an accident daddy."

"An accident? Cars colliding, that's an accident. Getting married? That has to be done with full consent and awareness!"

"Daddy it wasn't even supposed to have been filed. It was only for a school project. Glen helped me..."

"Glen? I am going to strangle that kid."

"Daddy no! It wasn't even entirely his fault. The clerk, Maria Sarabia said that she was the one who filed the case, thinking it was a valid one, and that someone just forgot to hit Enter."

"So now what? You're officially married? You can't get out of it? Do you even want to get out of this marriage Hope?"

"Well, he is kinda cute."

"Hope!"

"Daddy, we're both trying to fix this. I'm helping him find a way to dissolve our marriage."

"And in the meantime?"

"I have a husband. A real, authentic husband."

"What were you thinking! We're barely scraping with our finances as it is. This Luke is one more mouth to feed. An added expense. One we cannot afford."

"Is that your only concern? That I'm splurging my money on someone else other than you, or my siblings? Am I not allowed to find someone whom I think deserves my attention, my loyalty, my affection other than someone in this family?"

"That's not what I meant! Do not put words into my mouth. You think I don't feel ashamed that I have to rely on you to help keep us afloat? I'm the head of the family, I should be the one providing for you. And yet, I don't know what to do without you.

"I'm not rich, and I never got the proper education to land me a good job. All I know is shoemaking. I regret you got stuck with me as a sorry excuse of a father. But I see what you're doing... and I am grateful.

"I appreciate you, son. I just don't tell you how I feel because as your father I'm supposed to be strong and unaffected."

"Daddy, it's not like you're forcing me to provide for this family. Truth be told, I like being able to help out when I can. Please don't think I see you as a burden."

"I'm glad that you don't then. Back to this Luke guy, what do you know about him?"

"Not much. He's from a kingdom called Moratovia. He's goodlooking. Charming. A good talker. Good with kids. Goodlooking. Funny. Intelligent. Did I mention he's goodlooking?"

"Yes. You have. More than once!"

"Oh. Ok."

"That's it? He can be a serial killer for all we know. Or a lunatic. Not that I'm not used to insane people already by now, I have your younger brother to thank for that. His nose deep in books, everyday. No social interaction what-so-ever. I swear there's something wrong with that kid."

"He's just built different. He's not a psycho."

"I should hope not. And this Luke guy? You trust him?"

"I do."

"Where did you put him up? With your brother?"

"No, he's sleeping in my bed."

"Hope!"

"What? I took the sofa lastnight. Get your head out of the gutter dad."

"He should be sleeping on the floor!"

"You know we're not like that. Our hospitality is world renowned. We give our best plates, our most comfortable beds, our finest garments to our guests. It's what sets us apart as a people, as a nation. I'm not about to break the tradition."

"You just want him sleeping in your room. Don't give me that bullshit."

"Daddy, watch your mouth. He might think I have ulterior motives."

"Well? Don't you?"

"Oh my gosh, of all people to judge me."

"I see through you son. I've been there. I know what it's like to be young and horny."

"Daddy! Grosse."

"I'm worried for you kid. All innocent and trusting. You could get hurt you know."

"Daddy, it's just a fake marriage. One that's not about to last more than a week. I will get us both out of this. Luke will be set free from his ties with me."

"Luke will. But can you truly be freed of him?"

And for that... I didn't have an answer.