"Bicker..."

Lucian:

"Why exactly has no one noticed this before today?"

I sat from across the foreign attaché and the prime minister as the king interrogated them.

"We didn't feel the need to check on..."

"This is the prince we're talking about here! You didn't feel the need?" My father cut the prime minister short.

"Sire, there's more bad news. Although from the country of origin the wedding can be dissolved, on our end... it is legal and binding." The attaché informed the king.

"How is this even possible? My son has not left the Kingdom of Moratovia for the last five years!"

"You signed several Royal Decrees in the past few years, your majesty. Gay weddings were amongst the petitions you signed as permitted, allowed, accepted, and deemed binding in our Moratovian Laws."

"You think I'm not aware of that?" The king glared at the prime minister. I couldn't help but smirk as I saw the latter squirm in his seat. "I was asking how it was possible for Lucian to be wed to somebody he has not even laid eyes on!"

"The documents were made from a government office in one of the clusters of island in the Asia Pacific region, half-way across the globe. It was clearly forged since the Prince's signature was copied via documents on file, and not signed by means of handwriting." The attaché answered.

"Then void it!" My father ordered.

"We cannot, your majesty."

"And why on Earth not?"

"The Moratovian Royal Seal was placed on it by someone from our end... on the same day it was made."

"Who! I shall have them locked-up for the rest of their miserable lives for incompetence."

"We know not, sire." The attaché replied softly.

"So now what? We miss out on strengthening our boreders since we cannot wed Lucian to the princess of Escalona?"

"Incase you all forgot my earlier statement, I have no wish to marry said princess, or anyone for that matter." I raised my voice, and my father looked surprised that I was even in the same room.

"My prince, this union is sure to guarantee added members to our defense army, which will be supplied by the king of Escalona once you and his daughter are married." The prime minister pleaded with me.

"Like I care?"

"Lucian! You are a prince. It is your duty to do what's right for this kingdom. You belong to this land. If marrying someone for the betterment of this land is what's needed, then by the seal of our ancestor's blood you are bound by oath to do just that." The king admonished me.

"Then have our ancestors rise from the grave and marry this princess. I will not throw my life away just to add men who could be killed in battle!"

"You will do as I order or..."

"Or what father? You would strip me of my title?" I smirked. "That is exactly what I'm hoping you would do."

I rose, the sudden movement made my seat scrape against the polished marble floor loudly... punctuating my defiance.

"Where are you going!" Halfway out ot the carved wooden door of the Royal Conference Room my father called to me. I turned, smiling widely.

"If you'll excuse me, I believe I have a husband to meet."

✈️✈️✈️

It was stiflingly hot. The sun mercilessly burned my skin the minute I descended the commercial flight I was in. The air smelled... funny. Like burgers, booze, and cheap sex.

I remained anonymous, just one of the blokes who freely went travelling. My shades, and Yankees cap made me look American and not Moratovian.

"Passport?" The guard asked once I came through the gates. I handed him both my knapsack, and supporting papers as I went through one of those metal detector thingys.

"Luke Regent?" He declared my fake name.

"I nodded."

"Welcome to the Philippine Islands. Enjoy your stay." He broke into a warm smile, and I could not help but smile back.

I carried my bag on one shoulder as I walked out into the line for taxis. The air was damp and hot, it made my skin feel tingly.

"Sir? Sir? Taxi?" A young woman in a gray polo shirt and blue Laker's cap waved at me, as she held the back passenger door of her Nissan sedan open.

I entered the car, pleased that it was comfortably cool and smelled clean.

"Where to, sir?" She turned to smile at me as she inquired where to take me.

"Balete Drive. New Manila. Quezon City."

And then it started, my journey to meet... my better half.