"Worthless..."

Hope:

"Stupid." Were my younger brother's first word after he woke up and heard what I did.

"I'm sorry Hope, but Chase is right." Faith said, holding Sandie in her arms.

They all surrounded me as I sat quietly at the table, drinking my morning coffee. My eyes were bloodshot, and my nose runny from non-stop crying.

My father gazed at me without a word from where he sat at the head of the table, his chin cradled in his right hand.

"I think you're making a big mistake Hope." Brent said as he placed a plate of pancakes infront of a smiling Sammy.

"I seldom speak." All eyes were drawn to Chase. "I don't know how to... connect to people. Luke, well he, he connected to you since day one. I saw how he learned to trust you, how he let his guard down around you... how he fell in love with you.

"He truly wanted to take care of you... to be a part of our family. He had no vested interest. No hidden agenda. All he wanted was for us to accept and love him back."

"Well atleast that's one guy who's not after your money." My dad said, and we all looked at him as if he suddenly grew three heads. "What? It's true."

"I've been a fool." I groaned, burying my head in my arms on the table.

Just then a knock was heard, and I ran swiftly to welcome Luke back after I sent him away lastnight... only, it wasn't him at the door.

"May I come in?" The tall dignified man asked as he stood there elegant in a three piece suit. A chauffered Rolls waited at the sidewalk behind him with dignitary flags.

I moved to let him in, and was surprised when he eagerly approached my father to shake hands like they were old friends.

"Ah! Honorato Sueño I believe?" He had a smiling face as he greeted my dad.

"Yes. Who do I have the pleasure..."

"No need to be so formal, old chap. We're practically family. I am Arthur Regent, Luke's father. Your father in-law." He turned to me.

"Oh my god, your majesty!" Faith curtsied, and Brent immediately pulled a chair for our guest to sit on. He even wiped it with the dish cloth first before letting the King sit down.

"Mighty kind of you my boy. Thank you." He thanked Brent as he reached over to toussle Sammy's hair. "I believe we have so much to talk about... now that your son is married to my Luke. Speaking of, where is my son?"

"He... he's no longer staying with us, sir. I sent him away." I replied, fearing for my life.

"You sent him away? And why is that?"

"Well he's a prince."

"I know that. I am a King afterall. It's only logical that my son becomes a prince."

"He's royalty."

"Again. That's obvious. You are a professor are you not? I would expect that your skills in communicating is extensive?"

"I'm not worthy. I cannot remain tied to him. He has responsibilities he must attend to. I am a fish out of water in his world. I cannot take him away from his duties, sir. I have nothing to offer him... no, I am nothing compared to him." The words gushed out of my mouth, as tears once more threatened to fall.

"Who told you that? Did my son explicitly say all those things to you?"

"No sir. It is merely my..."

"Then what gives you the right to decide for my son? To think for him? Does he strike you as a person who has incapabilities in making decisions for himself?"

"No, sire."

"Well he obviously loves you if he could stand all the uncomfortable situations he has to overcome daily by staying here. No offense Honor... I can call you Honor, right?" He turned to my father.

"You can call me anything. It's not everyday a King visits my humble abode."

"We can fix that. I am after all King, and can manage to visit important people if and when I want to. Now back to you... Hope."

I looked at him, as Brent offers him a cup of coffee. "Oh, thank you my boy. Hope, you do realize that in my kingdom... marriage is a binding thing. Right? In as much as there is no divorce in your country, and annulment is almost impossible, it is basically the same in my kingdom. The manner in which you were wed to my son Luke may have been... how shall we say this... unusual? But in Moratovian Laws, it sticks. There is no way out of it... for both of you, I'm afraid."

"Poor Luke." I whispered.

"Why is that?"

"He's stuck with me."

"And that's a bad thing, because?"

"I mean look at me!"

"I am. So?"

"I'm nothing."

He shifted a bit in his seat to look at my father in passing before addressing me.

"You are a person. And that's not nothing!

"Someone with a pure heart. Someone who loves selflessly. Generous without limit. Caring, and above all... strong and resilient to keep moving forward through all the hardships life throws at you.

"This time my child, life has decided to reward you for all your kindness... don't throw this chance away, son."

And I knew right then, and there, that I had his blessing to take his son....as my husband.