"Special..."

Hope:

He irritates me. To no end.

At first I thought he came here on the sole purpose of dissolving our marriage... and yet, he is taking his sweet time.

He misses out on scheduled meetings, feigning sickness. Meetings that could have helped hasten the process of setting us both free of this blasted contract.

He became distracted, setting Brent and my sister up with loan advisors, truck dealers, and franchise owners.

I've seen how he uses his charms on women to get the best deal for my sister and Brent.

How his smile, his smouldering gaze, his deep breathless voice could make the women swoon and agree to the conditions he had set out, to ensure that my sister was in good hands before starting her small business.

"That went well. Don't you think?"

"Splendidly well." I answered sarcastically.

"What? You don't agree?"

"What I don't agree to is how you flirt with every single woman you meet just to get your way. It's infuriating!"

"Well I had to do it for Faith and Brent so that... wait! Are you jealous?"

"You're delusional."

"Am I?" He had this irritating smirk.

"We're not together."

"On the contrary, I must remind you that we are afterall married."

"Temporarily."

"And yet here we are. Still together."

"And whose fault is that. Last I checked I was always on time to scheduled meetings to dissolve this marriage."

"Well if it weren't for your recklessness we wouldn't even be married in the first place."

"My recklessness? I wasn't even the one typing away at the computer when this whole farce started."

"Putting the blame on others now?"

"It's true! And just so you know, I never even thought it would matter since you were situated half the planet away from me."

"So that's your brilliant excuse? Distance?"

"I do not need an excuse. As I've said before it was an accident. At that time you were nothing more than a school project."

"And now? What am I to you Hope?" He was standing too close, his minty breath tickled my lips.

"You are a distraction." I whispered, my eyes drawn to his plump, red lips, his arrogant smile.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?"

I blinked, and the moment was gone. Anger consumed me once more.

"I will not be trifled with! I will not fall prey to your charms like the women you flirt with just to get what you want."

"I told you, I only did that to ensure that Faith..."

"Excuses, excuses!" I said.

"Then tell me what excuse do I have for wanting to stay by your side longer? Why do I even care if Faith and Brent get a headstart in their business. Why, despite how unbearably hot and uncomfortable your house is, I find it quite tempting to stay there... with you... possibly, forever."

I was silent. Was I hearing correctly?

"Whatever it is you're trying to do... stop! Just stop. You're confusing me. Making me feel things. Making me wish for something I'm not even sure is real, is possible... is attainable!"

"Wish for me. I am yours."

"What non-sense are you talking about Luke! We're trying to set ourselves free of this contract. Or have you forgotten your purpose for coming here?"

"I haven't forgotten! Everyday, I am reminded of what it feels like to wake up to your smiling face, to your sweet voice, your caring ways. Then you remind me that we have a contract to dissolve. Do you not want me here? Do you not feel anything for me? Am I just an accident to you!"

I was speechless. How do I tell him that from the moment I opened the door for him that first day, I have prayed for him to stay tied to me as my husband... knowing that his original plan was to be rid of me.

"You had a reason coming here. A purpose for wanting to dissolve our marriage. Think of that. Focus on that."

"And what if that purpose no longer suits me? Will you stay... as my husband?"

"This is madness! You don't know anything about me... how could you want to stay tied to me?"

"I know enough!

"I know how you laugh uncontrollably as you watch your youngest niece try to trace your face everyday after you come home from work.

"I know what you look like as you sleep peacefully on a cramped, small sofa just so I could sleep comfortably on your bed.

"I know how you cry sometimes at night when you think everyone is asleep, as you count the money in your wallet, preparing to divide it for all your expenses.

"I know how you love your family completely and selflessly.

"I know how your strongest suit is your pure heart... and your weakness is your lack of trust."

"Those are not enough reasons to build a life with me."

"Perhaps to you it isn't. But it is... for me."

"I cannot offer you anything! I do not have much."

"Your heart, your love, your affection, is all I ask. Stay married to me Hope, and I promise to enrich your life everyday from this day forth."

I felt tears prick my eyes. Could it be? That what I have longed for has finally found me? A love to call my own. A life of happiness. Someone to share my every moment with.

"I don't know what to say." I whispered as the first tear fell.

"Say yes... to me, to my heart, to my promises."

He smiled the most beautiful of smiles, and I knew there was no way I could reject him.

"Yes." And I felt his lips claim mine, while my eyes closed gently.