Chapter 4: Starting Off

Michael's POV:

A week had passed. I still hadn't told y/n about how I was planning on getting a job as a nightguard. Henry hadn't told me if I would get the job or not... at least not yet.

I was in the car, driving over to the pizzeria to talk to him. He texted me an hour before saying he had an answer. But he didn't want to tell me what it was over the phone. He claimed he also had something important that he needed to tell me.

I had been dying to know when he would get back to me about it; that is if he would get back to me. I was starting to think that he just told me that he would think about it to get me to shut up.
That is until only a few days later when I received a text from him, telling me to meet him at the pizzeria.

"So... you wanted to talk to me?"

"That's right. Come over here, let's go talk in a place where there's not as many people."

Henry guided me out of the crowded room and into his office where it was more quiet.

"Listen, Michael..." he began. "I've made up my mind."

"You mean about the job?"

"That's right," he confirmed. "I've decided that..."

He fell silent, not saying anything.

"...What? " I prodded.

"I've decided that I'll give you the job."

"Really?!" I exclaimed. "Are you serious?"

"I'm serious. But I need you to promise me a few things before you start," he insisted.

"Alright. What are they?"

"If anything, and I mean anything strange happens, you tell me and you quit," he began.

"Sure thing."

"Second, I don't want you sticking with this job. I want you to keep looking for another job so that you can quit this one as soon as you find another one."

"Easy enough."

"And I know this last one sounds strange, but believe me when I tell you it is the absolute most important one," he said, his voice growing serious.

"And what's that?" I asked.

"Do not—under any circumstance—come to work next Saturday."

"Why not?"

"That doesn't matter," he said. "But you have to promise me that you won't step foot in this building on Saturday."

"Are you sure it doesn't matter?" I asked. "What could be so bad that I can't come on Saturday?"

"Don't argue with me on this," he demanded. "Do NOT come here on that day. Understood? If you come, you are fired on the spot."

"Well... alright," I agreed. "If you say so."

"Thank you," Henry said. "I'm only doing this because I know you need the money. I really don't feel safe with you working here as a nightguard."

"Believe me, Henry, I'll be careful," I promised. "I won't let anything happen."

"I hope you're right, Michael," Henry sighed.

"I am," I assured him. "Nothing bad will happen to me. I promise."