Chapter 6: She Knows Something I Don't

Michael's POV:

    "Gosh... She was right. I should've listened. Now I'm stuck like this forever..."

•••

    "Michael... come on, wake up..."

    I groaned, lazily opening up my eyes to see y/n laying next to me and trying to wake me up.

    "Hm? What is it?" I asked, looking over at her.

    "You were tossing and turning like crazy. Everything alright?"

    "Yeah, I guess I just had a strange dream," I explained, yawing. "How long was I asleep for?"

    She shrugged. "I'm not sure. At least a few hours. You were asleep when I got home."

    "Well, that's great," I groaned. "Did you fall asleep too?"

    "No. I was getting some stuff done on my phone."

    "Ah, I see." I turned on my side so that I was facing her. "Anyway, how was work?"

    "It was alright. It was the same as normal," she said. "How were you while I was gone? What'd you do?"

    "Not much," I said with a shrug. "I watched The Immortal and the Restless. Chatted with Ennard for a bit. Called Elizabeth and Chris. Slept."

    "Sounds fun."

    "It's more fun with you here." She smiled and rested her head on my shoulder.

    "Michael, whaddya say you miss work tonight?" she asked. "Maybe stay here with me?"

    I chuckled. "You know I'd like to. But I can't."

    "This is why I miss when we both had work at similar times," groaned y/n. "Now I don't get to spend as much time with you."

    "It's alright, y/n. My job is only temporary, remember?" I reassured her. "I'll be getting a new one as soon as I can."

    She rolled her eyes.

    "But let's not think about that for now," I suggested. "What'd you do today?"

    "I just went to work," she explained.

    "Just went to work?" I repeated.

    She didn't respond, but instead fell silent. I could feel her tense up slightly, almost like she was anxious about something.

    "Y/n...?" I muttered, breaking the silence.

    "Oh! Sorry," she said. "No, I didn't do anything else. I got some food on the way to work. My boss was being annoying and strict like always. Always talking about how we need to 'do better.'"

    I chuckled. "Not a very fun day then, huh?"

    She groaned. "It never is."

    "Well, at least that's one benefit of my new job. I don't have to worry about a boss who's always getting mad at me," I joked.

    Once again, she didn't say anything in response.

    "Is everything alright...?" I asked quietly.

    "Yeah, why wouldn't things be alright?" asked y/n, trying to sound like she wasn't worried.

    "I don't know. You're just more... quiet."

    "I'm just tired, that's all," she sighed.

    "You can sleep if you want," I said. "I'm not stopping you."