Chapter 9: Searching for Answers

Michael's POV:

    I knew the truth. I knew that whatever it was that caught Elizabeth's eye in Henry's office was probably the same thing that haunted me the night before. And I was not looking forward to seeing it again tonight.

    Or should I say, seeing him again tonight.

    I didn't tell y/n about him. She wouldn't let me go back if she knew he was there.

    And it's not like I wanted to go back. If Elizabeth hadn't gone missing that day, I probably would've stayed home and quit my job right then and there.

    But I had to find Elizabeth, even if that meant putting myself in danger. I had already done that once anyway. Who's to say I couldn't do it again?

    I felt so much more nervous getting ready for work that night. But I couldn't back out. Not now, not when I had the chance to save my sister. But my nervousness must have been obvious because y/n pointed it out to me.

    "Michael, is everything alright?" She asked me while I was getting ready. "You're shaking."

    "Yeah. Yeah, everything is fine. I guess I'm just nervous about her, y'know?" I told her. And that was still true.

    "Yeah. I get what you mean," she agreed, holding both my hands in hers. "But I believe in you. You got her back once, and you can do it again."

    "Well, I know, but... how?" I asked. "How am I going to do it this time? Last time I had your help, but this time I don't."

    "I could come with you," she suggested.

    "No!" I exclaimed. She looked at me with a startled expression.

    "I mean... no," I said, this time more calmly. "You have work tomorrow, and I don't want you missing out on sleep for that. You already missed like, six hours of sleep last night. I don't want you doing that again tonight."

    "Alright... if you insist," she said. "But if you ever change your mind, I wouldn't mind coming with you. It's not like there'll be anyone there to stop me."

    "Thank you, y/n. I appreciate it."

    She looked down at her watch before looking back up at me. She gave me a smile, but it wasn't a happy one. It seemed sad... anxious... forced.

    "You should... you should be on your way."

    I looked at her, slightly confused. "You're... encouraging me to go?"

    "Yeah. I mean, it's not like I want you going," she told me. "But it's for the best. It's for Elizabeth."

    I gave her a nod. "And mark my words, I will find her."

    "Just be safe, okay?" She went on, trying to hide the fear in her voice. "I don't know what happened to her, but I don't want anything to happen to you too."

    "For the hundredth time, I'll be fine," I promised, embracing her in a hug. "There's nothing there that can hurt me."

    I didn't know why I lied. I knew that wasn't true. I knew there was some creepy animatronic after me. I knew William was there and was probably after me. I knew very well that nothing was fine.

    "But it's still strange that she just... disappeared," Y/n continued.

    "It couldn't have been anything at the pizzeria that took her away. It wouldn't make sense. I'm still going to check, just in case. But that place isn't like the old locations."