03

03

With a sigh, I went out of my car and wore a sunglass because the sun was scorching hot. Sobrang init talaga ng Pilipinas.

Even if I hate it, I managed to walk under the sun towards the mall. It was an exclusive one though. Pawang mga mamahaling shop ang nasa loob. I immediately entered a store for babies.

My mother was already looking at the little dresses. Her assistant was with her. When she saw me, I nodded and smiled. She also did the same.

Napansin lang ako ni Mommy nang nasa harapan niya na ako.

"Trinity," she said. "You are late."

"I'm sorry. Medyo traffic po kasi."

She disregarded what I said. Instead, Mommy gave his attention to the little dresses. Hindi na rin ako umimik pa at nanatili na nasa tabi niya.

My mother is the epitome of grace. She is the only daughter of two businessmen. Nakukuha niya ang gusto niya mula pa noong bata. Ngunit kahit ganyan, hindi siya lumaki na spoiled brat.

Instead, she is fierce and determined. It doesn't need to be perfect, but it needs to be the best: iyan ang palagi niyang sinasabi sa amin.

Growing up, we are never really close like the usual families. Civil lang kami which is weird, but we don't have a choice. Busy sila palagi ni Daddy, eh. And I understood that what they are doing are for the family... for us...

"Nakapili ka na ba ng regalo?" Mommy asked without looking at me.

"Wala pa, Mommy. I plan to buy with you."

May christening kasi na dapat naming puntahan this weekend. It's a family friend. A party we must all go.

Kagaya ni Mommy ay pumili na rin ako ng mga damit at gamit na pambabae. They were all so cute and small. Hindi ko mapigilang mapangiti.

"Therese will be a wonderful mother someday."

Tumingin ako kay Mommy na may maliit na ngiti. I tried to act normal. I pretended that I did not hear that, but it was too late when our eyes met.

"She's always good with children," dagdag niya pa. "Mahinahon. Determinado. Passionate. I know her future family will be great."

But what about me, Mommy? Tumingin ako sa mga damit upang maiwasan ang mga mata niya.

"I wonder if may regalo na ba siya para sa christening?" she asked more to herself that the people around her. Still, I gave her an answer.

"Nabanggit sa akin ni Ate kahapon na mag-o-online shopping na lang daw siya."

Mommy smiled calmly. "Yeah, everything is easier online. Tsaka masyado rin siyang busy sa work niya. She got the proposal, right?"

I nodded.

Her closed-lip smile widened. "Of course, she got it. Sobrang galing kaya ng Ate mo."

Aksidente kaming nagkatinginan ng assistant ni Mommy. She gave me a small, sad smile. Na para bang nakikisimpatya sa akin.

But for what? I am never rude, pero hindi ko mapigilang mainis na naaawa siya sa akin. I still gave the assistant a small smile.

Pumili kami ni Mommy ng regalo. She got a cute, pink dress while I got a yellow summer hat. Sabay na rin kaming nag-lunch sa isang restaurant.

"Ikumusta mo ako sa Ate mo, okay?" she said when we went outside the mall, ready to part ways.

"Of course, Mommy," sabay ngiti ko.