Strange (Pick/Rome)

Author's note: Continuation from Pick/Rome vet story. 

Even though Rome was still shaking after the unpleasant encounter, he managed to lead Pick to his condo. It was strange to have Pick here after what he had to witness. 

"I am sorry." Rome apologized. He was ashamed for not being able to protect himself. He bites his lower lip, fidgeting nervously. 

"Why are you apologizing?" Pick asked.

"You didn't do anything." He added.

"You had to see it," Rome whispered, lowering his eyes to the ground, avoiding the older's stare. 

"Look at me, Rome." Pick demanded, gently taking Rome's jaw, forcing him to look up. 

"Don't apologise." He continued to talk. His palm finds its way on Rome's cheek, caressing it. 

"He did this to you and Bibii." Pick stated as his fingers gently brushed the purple mark on his skin. Rome dared to observe Pick's face. He was frowning, yet his eyes were gentle, making Rome's heart skip a beat. 

"How could he do this." Pick sighed in frustration. 

"I didn't want to get back with him." Rome finds himself answering even though the older man didn't ask. 

"So he beat you and your pup up?" Pick frowned again. 

"She was trying to protect me. But she's so small, she couldn't..." Rome didn't have the strength to continue. The tears streamed down his face again with the memory of today's event. 

"That asshole," Pick growled, pulling crying Rome into the embrace without hesitation. 

"It's okay. I am here now." He whispered into Rome's hair. 

"I won't let him hurt you and Bibii again."