Ch.2

"It's like at that moment the whole universe existed just to bring us together."
—Serendipity

≡*.-・->

"Mom, I don't have time to pick her up," I say for the fifth time, attempting to reason with her to which she shakes her head.

"Neither do I," she replies, putting her black, work heels on. "You promised as well. What are you so busy with anyways?"

"Homework, I have a lot to do this week," I answer, earning a skeptical look as she shifts glances from the whisk in my hand to me.

"Mhm...You can do it while you're with your sister," Grace remarks back, opening the front door. "Speaking of, your sister gets out from school in around half an hour so make sure to bring hats, it's sunny out."

With those last words, she closes the door, leaving me the responsibility of my sister.

I place the whisk back into the batter-filled bowl, preheating the oven to 300˚F. Soon after, I undo the strings of my pink apron with the words "Serena" stitched onto it. It was a gift by Dawn for my 14th birthday after she found out I could bake and asked me to make her pastries ever since. I hung the apron onto the hook on the empty wall beside me.

I go up the stairs, opening the door leading to my bedroom. Inside reveals linen colored walls decorated with photos and Polaroids. I look through my closet, finding a pink and black wide brim hat to match the reddish color of my skirt.

"Perfect." I beam, looking at my reflection from the mirror.
———
There's around ten minutes until Leaf gets out of school. I make a mental note as I rush to get out of the doorway, left hand gripping a bag of freshly baked pastries and Leaf's teal baseball cap.

Baking macarons and actually finishing it in a time limit is stressful. One hour of glancing at the clock and the oven timer in hopes I finish in time. Why? Leaf is the type of five year old that would follow a suspicious looking man into a white van to get a lollipop. In this case, her friend's brother may not be evil, but Leaf would still follow them without me. If anything happened to Leaf under my supervision, mom would be livid.

I bring up my free hand and drag the brim of my hat down to shade my eyes from the bright and flaming rays of sunlight shining down at me. I should've worn different socks... Each minute that passed increased the 'burning' feeling of the black thigh-high socks that clad my legs to the point I considered just rolling them down into awkward rolls on my ankles.

I walked straight after going left and saw the preschool. I groan, trying to think about what to do for the next few hours. I forgot to bring a book with me, only bringing my backpack which contained my laptop and worksheets that were due the next day. I pull out my phone from the back pocket of my bag, checking the time: 3:59pm.

Four minutes passed from when Leaf got out. Wait. IT'S BEEN FOUR MINUTES??!

I try my best to run and maneuver through the crowds of parents and their children walking along the streets until I finally reach the entrance. I entered through the metal gates, catching my breath all the while searching for Leaf until I felt a tug at my skirt. Looking down, a small brunette looked up at me.

"You look like a sweaty, hairy mammoth," Leaf loudly says, pinching my leg, which gathers the attention of a few people around us.