Ch. 7

"A soulmate is someone whose way of viewing life is not necessarily the same as yours but complements yours. There is not a compromise, there is a complement."

— Paul Robear

≡*.-・->

"I'M SO SORRY SERENA! I just remembered that I had a chemistry project due tomorrow!" Dawn yells through the other side of the phone.

I sigh. "Did you really have to wait until the last minute when it was Sunday to finish? No less, a chemistry project?"

"I already got scolded by my mom for an hour already, not you too!" Dawn wails.

I walked into my room and closed the door, trying to prevent any surprise break-ins from Leaf. That was how she drew all over my homework papers that one time.

There was also this other time when she ruined my room supposedly to find the treasure that was "buried" in my closet. I'll never forget how my clothes covered every single crevice of my room.

I sit down on my chair and bring my phone to my ear.

"Chem is the subject you're struggling the most on. When was this project even assigned in the first place?" I ask, fiddling with my pen.

There were a few seconds of silence on the other side of the line until she replied with: "Friday..."

"Friday?"

"...Last Friday,"

I drop my pen. "I-"

"Don't freak out! It won't matter that much if I get a bad score on it," Dawn exclaims. "Or at least I think so,"

"It's fine," I lighten up my tone. For all the years I've known Dawn, she never gets motivated to do her work in a pessimistic atmosphere. "Besides, I can't really say I'm surprised," I shrug.

"Hey—"

"We can hang out some other time then, don't worry about it, just make sure you don't fail chemistry this year,"

I opened my backpack and pulled out a white, labeled folder that says: 'physics'. With one hand I put my phone on speaker mode, placed it on my desk, and turned on my laptop with the other.

"I won't! I already promised my mom I wouldn't," she says unconvincingly. "Anyways, about Ash—"

"Don't remind me," I groan, sinking into my chair. "I don't know how I thought it was a good idea to run away. If anything, it was even more obvious I was there. Right?"

"Mhmm. AND you promised that you were gonna explain what happened yesterday," she says in a pleading manner. "Like you said, it's not Serena-like of you to run away from things like that,"

"I was going to tell you this anyways but," I sit upright. "That guy talking to Gary, Ash, he's my sister's friend's brother,"

"Huh,"

"When I went with Leaf on her play date the other day, that's where I met him,"

"SO, YOU FINALLY HAD A CRUSH ON SOMEONE ALL THIS TIME AND YOU MENTION IT NOW?" Dawn's voice fills the room. I wince, nervously giggling before explaining myself.