Ch. 4

A/N: I haven't been writing lately (busy with summer classes), but I'll get used to it in no time 👍👍 ALSO KIND OF A SHORT CHAPTER!

Disclaimer: few fourth wall breaks
ーーー
"There are no accidental meetings between souls."
— Sheila Burke

≡*.-・->

"Say that again?"

"I'm gonna go pick Leaf up today," I hesitantly repeated myself.

I was about to go head out the door and, like a good sister, go pick the little gremlin up from kindergarten! Just regular sibling things—not because of a certain sunny guy that I met a day ago. Just regular sibling things.

Then, my mom caught me preparing to leave when I was putting my shoes on. So now, I'm currently trying to convince her nothing's wrong with me.

"Go bring me my medication, I think I'm hearing things wrong," She uses her two fingers to massage her nose bridge.

I smile awkwardly, patting her shoulder. "Mom, I genuinely want to pick Leaf up today. Nothing's wrong!"

"That makes no sense,"

"Mom—"

"This morning you two were fighting over some dream she had. If I recall, something about being mean to her in her dream?" Grace says. She crosses her arms and glares at me, waiting for a response.

"Oh yeah," I scoff. "She got mad at me because I was mean to her in her dream. Her dream,"

"See?"

"..."

"But I won't stop you from going," She shrugs before walking off. "Less work for me,"

I stood there in front of the door with my mouth agape, it quickly turning into a confused smile.

———

"You're late. Again," Leaf says in an annoyed tone, pinching my arm, when I arrived. I was ten minutes late this time, which makes sense why she's worked up.

"Don't pinch me," I grabbed her hand and dragged her with me towards the direction back home. "Did Lia already leave?" I asked curiously.

"She already left, Ash picked her up," She looks up at me and makes a face. "You just wanted to see Ash again didn't you,"

"Nope," I frown.

"Why else would you be here?" She lets go of my hand and bends over to pick up a yellow leaf off of the floor.

"To..pick you up,"

"Never pick me up again then, I think my skin is burnt from waiting so long," She groans, standing back up and throwing the leaf that she was observing away.

"That's too bad." I say sarcastically. We cross the street under the sweltering afternoon heat and by the time we get home, we're sweaty messes.

"Back already?" Mom asks from the kitchen as the front door shuts with a click.

"Yeah," I replied. Leaf throws her backpack to the couch and sits on the ground, right in front of the fan.