one | cute stockings

★Saturday 19th June, 1999★

Saturday 19th June, 1999

"Josephine, get your butt down here now. We were supposed to leave ten minutes ago!"

My mother's yelling can be heard from all corners of the house, I can even faintly hear the tapping of her Mary Janes if I listen carefully.

It's Sunday and in the Jones family, that means church.

I've been going since... well forever. I was born, christened and then as soon as I could, Sunday school became a part of the weekly routine. Mom would drop me off in my little dress and stocking, a similar pair of Mary Janes adorning my feet and a blue bow tying back half my hair.

It's almost comical how my clothing hasn't changed. Ten years later and a whole new body type, I was still rocking the sweet conservative dresses along with some white stockings and of course, the Mary Janes.

Said shoes seem to be hiding. I've been looking everywhere and they seem to be nowhere.

"Just a minute Mom... wait, have you seen my shoes anywhere?" I call out to her. I swear Moms can always find things, like I would have looked in that exact place but bam, there they are when she's the one that looked there.

The thumping of my footsteps hit the staircase as my hand runs down the railing. I poke my head down to see my mother standing in the foyer next to a pair of freshly polished Mary Janes.

"They're done here, your father polished them. Now hurry up and put them on. I'll meet you in the car," Of course he did, he wanted all of us to look good on his big day. "Also grab your brother and Finley, they're doing God knows what." And with that, she pushes open the front door and softly shuts it behind her knowing father gets mad if we slam the door.

Skipping my way down the rest of the stairs, my stocking covered feet hit the floral carpet that decorates the living room floor. Sitting on the just as much floral couch is my boyfriend and brother. God those two just can't get enough of each other. They're dressed in their best suits, probably thanks to my mother and her control freak tendencies.

"Will you two ever not rough house in the living room? You know Mom gets mad when you knock the pillows off the couch, remember when you broke Mom's collector paperweight Lou?" It was one afternoon when Finley dropped me off from school cause he was doing some society club stuff with Louis, they had a whole setup in the living room. Two lemonades, a whole plate of Pizza Rolls freshly out the oven and a bag of Fruit Gushers.

Somehow they got into a disagreement on what Nirvana song was better, even though Lou and I aren't meant to listen to any type of 'devil music' as my Dad says. Louis still sneaks me cds he's burned that have different 70's, 80's and 90's rock, I just listen to them when dad's at some church meeting and mom's at her book club.

Long story short, Finley shoved Louis a bit too hard which resulted in Lou's foot getting caught up in the side table leg, knocking over the lemonade, the assortment of snacks and mom's favourite paperweight. She got it at some auction and wouldn't tell my father the price so it must have been expensive, she said it was a one of a kind collectible as her justification for paying so much.