nine | revenge is a sweet, sweet treat

Sunday 27th July, 1999

The echoes of soft hymns filled the air as I sat in church, trying to lose myself in the serene atmosphere. It had been a day since the pool party, a day since Harry's lips had brushed against my neck, leaving an electrifying memory that still lingered on my skin. His words replayed in my mind like a broken record, each syllable etching deeper into my thoughts: "Trying to distract yourself won't change what happened, either get revenge or learn to live with it."

As I sat there, my gaze avoiding Louis, it couldn't help itself but steal a glance instead at Harry. His presence was magnetic, and even from across the hall, his eyes locked onto mine, sending a jolt of electricity through me. He beckoned me with a subtle nod of his head, his lips curving into a knowing smile that made me question my own existence.

With a quick excuse to my mother about needing a moment alone, I rose from my seat and made my way toward the exit. The tension in the room was suffocating, and I longed for a breath of fresh air – and maybe a dose of Harry's flirty banter to distract me.

I followed the path Harry had taken, weaving through the maze-like corridors of the church until I found him standing by a door that led to a flight of stairs. He looked effortlessly handsome, his dark hair falling in gentle waves, his green eyes dancing with mischief.

"Couldn't resist, could you?" I teased, my voice laced with a mix of playfulness and relief. The weight of the past day seemed to lessen in his presence.

"Can you blame me?" Harry replied, that signature smirk of his tugging at the corners of his lips. "You've got something about you, Jo."

I rolled my eyes, feigning annoyance. "Flattery will get you everywhere, Styles."

He opened the door for me, gesturing for me to go ahead. "Ladies first."

I stepped through the door, feeling the cool air of the stairwell brush against my skin. Harry followed, the door closing softly behind us. The sound of the hymns became muffled, replaced by the distant echoes of our own footsteps.

"You didn't come here to talk about how amazing I am, did you?" I asked, my tone turning more serious. The memory of his whispered words at the pool party still hung between us, a reminder of the choices I had to make.

Harry leaned against the railing, his gaze locked on mine. "No, I came here to see if you're doing alright. I know it's been tough."

A mixture of emotions swirled within me – anger, hurt, confusion – but Harry's concern felt genuine. "Yeah, well, tough is an understatement."

He sighed, his gaze softening. "I won't pretend to understand what you're going through, Josephine, but I'm here if you need someone to talk to. And if you ever decide that revenge isn't the answer, I'll be here for that too."