five | mango

Sunday 20th June, 1999

"Can you pass the salt Finn?"

Sitting comfortably on the kitchen bench, a plate in my lap filled to the brim with every breakfast food imaginable, I sway my legs back and forth, the thumping of the kitchen side cabinet echoing through the small kitchen. The small tv that sits on the further benchtop has been running the latest news happening in California, a three day long heat wave predicted for the upcoming week as we reach the typically hot mid July weather.

My boyfriend dries his hands on the handmade tea towel that I'm more than sure his mother made. Every morning, Finn will either take me out to get french toast with a side of bacon and eggs, an orange juice to make everything go down, or he'll cook up a storm and then proceed to put everything on one plate and wash up all the dishes he had messied, leaving me to eat and when he's down cleaning, he'll eat whatever's left over. And everytime I always protest and say we should take turns cleaning up or cooking but he just hushes me with endless small pecks all over my face which makes me giggle and oblige because I usually forget what I was even protesting about.

Finn's hands grip my uncovered thighs, giving them a small squeeze and then detaching the right one so he can pick up the syrup covered for and poke through a piece of pancake. He lifts it up to my lips but before I can take a bite, he smears the syrup all over my bottom lip.

"Messy girl." Finn moves the fork to his mouth and takes the pancake off with his teeth, chewing with a sharp jaw.

As I'm about to use the napkin next to me to rid my bottom lip of the sticky substance, Finn grips my wrist. "I forgot to get some syrup with that." Leaning forward, Finn's tongue glides against my bottom lip, licking away the syrup but then must have decided it wasn't enough and sucks on my lower lip. A swift kiss and he's pulling back.

"More than thirty-one million people in the west and south-west of the United States are bracing for a blistering heat wave that may bring triple-digit temperatures this upcoming week, with authorities warning that records may be set in several areas of California and Nevada. Officials predict that Las Vegas will break its previous high temperature record of one hundred and ten degrees."

"You working this week, baby?." Finn places the previously requested salt shaker next to my thigh.

Finn started looking for jobs around the summer when he turned sixteen, his father, when he was still living with his family, was on his back about 'being a real man' and 'learning the true values that a job will give you'. So, Lou and Finn went across town looking for a job, one that would let them work after school and on the weekend. This led them all the way to Smith's, a recently renovated surf shop just off the shores of Venice Beach, close to the Santa Monica Pier. When I'm allowed out of the house, I'll usually make the trek down to see Finn on his lunch break. It's a solid hour ride on my bike to get there since Finn and Louis usually take Finn's car in the early morning to have a small surf before their shift starts.