-40- Let's go.

-Zak's POV-
"I'm sorry, I love you." Darryl mumbled.

I kind of assumed he was sleeping, but I still couldn't help but question it.

"What?" I croaked. My voice was still a bit hoarse, probably from yelling at Techno for knocking him out. Even if he didn't hurt him, I didn't think Darryl needed to be knocked out.

Darryl seemed to stir after I made my comment. At least, he was staring at me in awe. So I assumed he was mostly awake.

"You... aren't dead? Am I dead?"
I laughed softly at his question. Even in the apocalypse, he could make me laugh. "No, baldy, you aren't dead. I'm not either."

I watched as tears began to overflow his eyes and spill down his face. He stood slowly from the chair, only to latch onto me. He sobbed into my shoulder, some incoherent words. It didn't matter. He was okay.

"Darryl..?"
"Yes, Zak?"
"Why was I in the city? Who took me from you?"

Silence was his response. Maybe he didn't have one. I don't know.

"I took a hike, I needed to prepare myself. I could've sworn you would've waited for me to get back when you woke up. But you were gone. I thought you ran, maybe. Because of our fight." He barely whispered. It was muffled by the thick fabric of my hoodie.

"You know I wouldn't do that. I'm sorry we were apart so long. I know you would've protected me if you were there."

"I'm sorry." He mumbled. He slowly pulled away, handing me a beanie.

My beanie.

He saved it, even though he didn't think I'd come back.

I wiped a few tears off of my face and pulled it onto my head. I fixed my hair to look just how it used to.

I felt a hand rest on my shoulder, pulling me out of my own mind.

"Zak." 

"Techno."

Techno smiled somewhat at my expression. A look of comfort, I think.

"I'll let you two be on your way. Please, have a good adventure."
"You aren't gonna ask to come?"
"No. What you're going to get up to isn't my business, and it's personal, judging by what Bad said."
"But what if we need you again? You said you'd be moving bases."
"I don't need to if it's just me and a few guards here, we'll just move a bit further into the sewer."
"Are you sure?"

He glanced over my shoulder, into Bad's eyes.

"Entirely. Keep each other safe for me. Visit me too, after you've gone where you need to. I'll be waiting."

I watched him reach his hand out, so we could shake on it. I wrapped my arms around him, my embrace causing him to choke a little on his breath.

"Will do. Stay safe too, mkay?"

He returned the hug, and nodded as I pulled away.

"Go get that dog, too, it reminds me a lot of a certain someone's furry friend." Techno chuckled as he sent us off.

Darryl's eyes lit up as we walked the halls.

"Is it what I think it is?" He asked, clearly psyched for the surprise.
"Sure is." I giggled as I pushed open the cell door.

My bag sat in the middle on a table. But more importantly, Lucy, with a collar and a few other pet care items, sat next to it.

Darryl yelped as he ran towards the fluffy pet.

"Thank you so much Zak! This means so much to me, I'm so excited to see Lucy again!"
"I'm glad you're reunited. Now, how about getting our mission back on track?"
"I.. think I'm ready."
"Good. Where to?"
"A.. Specific high-school." Darryl responded. He sort of fiddled with his thumbs as he spoke.

A high school? Why?

I shook off my questions and grabbed his arm to reassure him. I nodded, and sighed as I grabbed my bag.

"Let's go."
617 words

-W/N-
Short chapter, sorry LMAO

im insanely sorry i've been gone so long. got bored of the book. anyway im a lil rusty, but i hope you enjoy!

its 2:22 where i am rn, make a wish nerds