Chapter 8 (Kylie)

(Kylie)

Oh my gosh. Four was sitting next to me. The Four. I swear, I was about to die, oh my gosh! I was internally fangirling so hard right then, but I did my best to hide it. I smiled shyly at him, and he smirked at me.

"First jumper, a stiff. I must say, I'm surprised," he said.

"Well, I guess it's obvious I didn't belong in Abnegation." I shrugged. "I'm not selfless."

He nodded, and looked like he was going to say more, but just then a hush fell over the room. I glanced over my shoulder and saw a young man scanning the room. His face was pierced in multiple places, and his black hair was long and greasy. What was really intimidating was the coldness in his eyes.

"Who's he?" Lily whispered.

"That's Eric. He's a Dauntless leader," Four said quietly.

"Seriously?" Christina asked. "But he's so young."

"Age doesn't matter here," Four said gravely.

I think everyone at the table wanted to ask, Then what does matter? But Eric started toward our table. He dropped into the seat on the other side of Four.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce me?" he asked, nodding towards me, Lily, and Christina.

Four said, "This is Kylie, Christina and..." he trailed off and glanced at Lily. Apparently, he hadn't caught her name yet.

She quickly said, "Lily. I'm Lily." She smiled nervously and looked down at her plate.

"Ooh, two Stiffs," Eric said, smirking at Lily and me. "We'll see how long you last."

I wanted to say something, but words failed me. Lily had no such problems. "Don't worry about us. We'll do just fine. If you want to worry about someone, I'd worry about that Peter kid." She pointed to Peter, who was sitting across the room.

Eric raised his eyebrows. "A feisty Stiff. Interesting. What have you been doing lately, Four?"

Four shrugged. "Nothing, really." He was sitting as tense as a pulled wire.

"Max tells me he keeps trying to meet with you, and you don't show up," Eric continued. "He requested that I find out what's going on with you."

Four looked at Eric for a few seconds before replying. "Tell him that I am satisfied with the position I currently hold."

"So he wants to give you a job."

"So it would seem."

"And you aren't interested." Eric posed these like they were questions, but they came across as statements.

"I haven't been interested for two years."

"Well, let's hope he gets the point, then." Eric got up and walked away.

"Are you two...friends?" Christina asked.

"We were in the same initiate class. He transferred from Erudite." Well, that's a no.

"You were a transfer too?" I heard the words before I realized I was saying them.

"I thought I'd only have trouble with the Candor asking too many questions," he said coldly. "Now I've got Stiffs, too?"

"It must be because you're so approachable," I said flatly. "You know. Like a bed of nails." Oh my gosh, I got to say that line! Yes! I had just quoted the book that Four is in at Four himself!

Four stared at me, and I stared right back. Finally, he said, "Be careful, Ky." Ky? Well, it's cool, I guess.