Chapter 17 (Tyheim)

(Tyheim's POV)

"Where are we?" I don't think that was a very unreasonable question, though Marie looked at me like I was insane.

"Isn't it obvious?" she asked, with a kind of reverent awe. "We're inside the book!"

"Don't be insane," Ellie said. "There's no way we could be inside the book. That's silly." She seemed a little bit creeped out, though.

"It certainly looks like the book. Do you have any better ideas?" Marie said stubbornly.

Ellie didn't answer that, and turned to me instead. "What do you think, Tyheim? Isn't being in a book a ridiculous idea?" I shrugged, and left my sisters to arguing as I took a look around.

I looked around, curious to see just what kind of a place this was. All around, these short, curly-haired people were dancing and drinking and eating and laughing. There was music playing, and tiny kids running around, chasing each other. I guess it was a party. Above my head, fireworks were going off, and several of the short people were cheering every time one exploded.

Suddenly, all the lights went out. Tons of smoke went up, and formed a mountain, glowing at the summit. Green and red flames shot out from the top. Out of the flames flew a reddish-gold dragon. It swooped over the people, and there were screams and shouts of horror, then it flew out away and exploded in a huge burst.

"That is the signal for supper!" an old curly-haired guy called, and immediately the uneasiness vanished and the short people leaped up to take their places at long trestle tables.

"Believe me now?" Marie whispered.

"It...it can't..." Ellie stared at everything, worry and confusion showing on her face.

"Why is everyone so short?" I asked.

Marie rolled her eyes. "They're hobbits!" Oh yeah, cause that's just so obvious. I was about to say something sarcastic back, but I got cut off.

"It's Gandalf!" Ellie squealed. Marie instantly whirled around to see where she was pointing, then they both took off towards an old guy in a gray robe. His gray hat marked him as a wizard. I ran to catch up to my sisters.

Gandalf was walking towards a big white pavilion under a huge tree. I slowed down as my sisters stopped behind him, unsure of what to do. I slowly turned around. Maybe, while they were occupied, I could go exploring. The night air was kind of cold.

I snuck off in the directions had come, looking for a house. I didn't see any, but I did see some windows in the side of a hill. I made my way over to the hill, careful to step around the trash that was scattered where those hobbit things had just been.

I circled the hill, looking for some point of entry, and found a wooden green circle that looked a little bit like a door. I tried the knob and found it unlocked, so, looking behind me to make sure no one was looking, I pushed the door open and slipped inside.

Past the door was a strange hallway. It was rounded, first of all, and seemed to twist and turn farther. There were round openings off both sides. The flickering light coming from the archway to the right let me know about the fire in there. I walked into what looked like an old-fashioned sitting room.

"I bet Aunt Taylor grew up in a room like this," I mutter, looking around. There were high backed chairs on each side of the fireplace, and old paintings of more curly-haired hobbits over it. The side tables had white lacy things on them (dollys? doilies?) which reminded me of my grandma's house. At least this room didn't smell like prune juice. There was a wooden desk pushed up against a window, and lots of old parchments and papers were sprawled all over it. I quietly walked over to it, and picked up a map.

It looked vaguely familiar. I think Marie has a picture of it or something. I wouldn't put it past her. She loves The Lord of the Rings.

I toured the room, picking things up and putting them down, and completely forgot about my sisters. Only when I heard the door creaking open did it occur to me that maybe I wasn't supposed to be here.

I quickly dived behind one of the chairs and peaked my head out.

The old hobbit who had called everyone to supper was there. He put something in his pocket, but I guess the pocket had a hole or something because it fell out again. The old hobbit didn't notice. He walked farther down the hall, and I heard a door close.

Now's your chance, I thought. I quickly hopped yo and streaked towards the door. But before I opened it, the gold thing the old hobbit had dropped caught my eye.

It was a ring. A very plain, ordinary ring, if you ask me. I leaned over and snatched it. I bet Marie would like a souvenir, and maybe she'd be able to "forgive my incompetence" or something if I gave her something from her favorite book. I slipped it into the pocket of my jeans and ran out into the night. I didn't even bother to close the door.