# 2

Micky went over to the bar that connected the living area to the kitchen. He flipped through a magazine that displayed new drumming tools, such as stools and sticks. He took the highlighter beside it and circled the things he wanted and absolutely could not live without.

Mike stood in the kitchen in front of him and leaned onto the bar. 

Peter had taken up Mike's guitar and was strumming mindlessly. It was a typical day for them. Just lounging around, waiting. That's why when the phone rang no one got up. They all just starred at each other in wonder.

"Who do you think it is?" Davy inquired.

"How am I supposed to know?" Micky said, frustrated. "answer and see."

Davy had stayed at the air conditioner. He trotted over to the phone and picked up the receiver.

"Hello?" He asked.

His face lightened up. He covered the speaker and whispered excitedly "It'd Rudy!" Their manager.

The others rushed to Davy's side. They were overly excited. A call from Rudy meant they had a job. They had been receiving more phone calls with shorter times between.

"So you say we got a gig set for Friday night? And we need to be there by Four thirty. Ok. I think I have everything I need. Thanks again man." Davy hung up the rotary phone and turned back to his friends. "He's got us a job for Friday night, over at the Kaidenian Inn!" 

Micky and Peter began laughing and twirling about the room. Mike cheered and clapped his hands. 

"Guys," Davy interjected. "I think that maybe we should get in some practice before then. " He smiled mischievously "I call first song!" He yelled running to get his tambourine. Micky hang his head and smiled. Peter picked up his guitar as did Mike. When David finally returned they counted to four. But instead of starting the tune to one of Davy's solo songs, Micky, Peter, and Mike started playing "I'm A Believer". 

"Hold it! Now hold it a moment! I called first song!" He said angrily.

The others smiled and then consented to their youngest friend's wish. They played until their fingers couldn't strum, beat, or bang an instrument. And so concluded the day that changed their lives. For Rudy's phone call set off a string of events that the Monkees will never forget.