#13

"Mick are you nuts!?" Mike yelled.

"Yes. Yes I am." Micky sighed. He trotted down the stairs with a sock of money in hand. He tossed it on the table where Davy had already emptied his pockets of change. Mike began counting the money. 

"Hey guys look what I found!" Pete said excitedly. He held up a giant pickle jar of pennies. He smiled wildly and in his excitement the heavy jar slipped from his hands and plummeted to the living room down below. 

"Duck!" Mike screamed. He covered his head and braced for impact. Mick dove behind the couch as the jar hit the floor and exploded into a million pieces. Pennies flew everywhere. 

"Ops." Peter smiled sheepishly. As the other boys gave him grief. Micky began picking up the pennies. Lani, who had been sitting on the arm chair, helped him.  

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mike counted the Money the boys found in random places in the house. The total came to two hundred and four dollars and sixteen cents. The boys sat in sadness around the table. 

"We need to earn more money..." Micky sighed. 

"Really?" Mike said sarcastically. 

"Hey, shut up, Mike. If someone had Christian you would want to do everything to save him." Davy said. 

Mike just shrugged. "Yeah I guess but you should have consulted us first." He said to Micky. 

"I'm sorry, guys. Micky said as a tear fell down his rosy cheek. "Mike is right." He whispered and buried his head in the crook of his arm. 

In the silence Davy tried to think of what could be done to save the group. Then it occurred to him. Something so obvious he didn't know why it hadn't occurred to any of the others. 

"Guys. Come on. Grab your instruments and follow me." Davy walked up to the instruments and picked up his maracas and tambourine. The others slowly followed him. 

"What are we doing?" Asked Peter. 

"We are going to play for the public." Davy smiled and opened the front door. 

"That's great and all but what about the girl?" Mike asked. 

"She's asleep. We'll lock the door and she'll be safe." Said Davy. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The boys walked into town and Mike set up his guitar case so people could throw money into it. Then the band played. They played with all their might and didn't stop. They just kept playing. Mike would call out what song they were going to do next. They played until a policeman came by and told them that they had to pack up for the day. 

The boys walked home with heads hung low. 

When they entered the flat Lani ran straight to Micky. Tears were falling down her face and her grip on him left bruises. 

"What's wrong?" This was the thing he said the most to her over her stay with them. 

Micky was surprised. He did a double take when Lani spoke clearly, "I thought you left me." He smiled and hugged her tighter. 

"I would never leave you." He said with a smile.

He let her go and dried her tears. He smiled to make her feel better. Lani's stomach growled and the two laughed. "You have not eaten in a while have you?" Micky asked. 

She shook her head and whispered 'No.' 

"Come on, ill make you a sandwich." Lani took Micky's hand and they walked to the kitchen. 

Davy, Mike, and Peter were still shocked at her speaking. 

"It talks!" Mike said in wonder. 

Davy walked to the kitchen with Micky and Lani. 

"Hey kid." He laughed. "How come you never talked to us before?" He inquired. 

Lani smirked and then shrugged. "I didn't want to." 

Davy laughed and turned to Micky. "At least she's intelligent and she knows what she wants." He laughed. Micky nodded with a proud smile. 

"Yeah. She does. That's why we have to save her."