17

Micky directed Peter and Davy in their placing of balloons and streamers. And once each one was placed perfectly Micky went to the kitchen and fetched a punch bowel. He handed it too Mike along with a pack of pretzels. 

"Mike please put these snacks out." Micky asked. 

"Sure thing, but first tell me why." Mike whispered.

"Why what?" Micky stalled. 

"Don't play stupid with me." Mike said. "Why are we throwing this party?" 

"I told you Mike. I have a plan."

"Yeah, well that's not good enough. What is this plan?" Mike insisted. 

"You wanna know the plan?" Micky said frustrated.

"Yes."

"Trap Doris."Micky turned to leave. 

"No. More specific." Mike insisted. 

"Fine. First Doris walks in and then we lure him into our trap of streamers then we call the police." It's so simple. I don't know why we didn't start with this idea." Micky smiled. 

"But the police would take-" Mike began but was cut off by Micky.

"Lani. I know. But her being taken away is better than her being killed." Micky sighed and turned back to the other boys who were still blowing up balloons.

Mike put the bowel on the table and did his best to open the pretzels. 

"Hey Micky where do you want these?" Davy asked. 

"You can put those balloons on the door." Micky directed. 

The boys worked fast to get the place looking like a disco tech. Peter gathered his favorite records and put them in place in the jute box. 

Lani came down the spiral staircase in awe. She wasn't sure what the boys had been trying to achieve with their decorating. She deduced that it must be their sad excuse for party decorations. She was surprised how it grew on her though. She like how the room seemed to welcome her and cause her heart to dance. 

"SSSSUUUURRRRPPPRRRIIIISSSEEE!!!!!!" The four boys yelled as she entered the living room! Micky walked up to her and gave her a bear hug. 

"What is this?" She asked him. 

"It's a party for you. To welcome you into our family." Micky said with a smile. 

"Don't you like it?" Davy inquired.

"I do." Lani giggled.

Peter walked over to the jute box and turned on the Bobby Darin record he had placed as first. 

Dream Lover danced through the air. Micky stood up and extended his hand to Lani. 

"Can I have this dance?" He asked. 

Lani giggled as she took his hands. She stood on his feat as he danced through the room. As they danced the guest Micky had invited arrived. Mike's wife Phyllis and son Christian, Davy's current girlfriend-Myra, and Peter's mother, his sister, and a bunch of random people he met on his days out doing odd jobs.

They all piled into the flat and danced. Mike served drinks and snacks. Davy manned the jute box, and Peter was in the kitchen. He was frosting the cake he had made for Lani. He made a beeping noise as he brought it from the kitchen into the living room. He set it up with candles and called Lani to him.

She came up and made a wish as she blew out her candles. 

"What did you wish for?" Asked Peter.

"I wished that I could stay here with you guys forever." Lani smiled. 

The party guests cheered but the Monkees only exchanged sad smiles, they knew the truth. Lani had limited time left with them. She would be gone within a few days. 

Mike cut into the cake. He handed one to Lani and then one to Micky. But then he started to smell something terrible. He sniffed the cake and then turned to Peter. 

"What kind of cake is this!?" He yelled.

"Cream of rootbeer!" Peter smiled. 

Mike dropped the slice he was holding and everyone sighed and complained. 

"Peter why would you make a cream of root beer cake?" Davy said irritated.

"Try new things!" Peter said as a suggestion. 

Micky began mumbling to himself about full moons and fangs. Then he went crazy growling at people and running around the room howling. 

"Micky cool it." Mike said. "You turning into a werewolf gets old fast." Mike complained. 

"I like it!" Lani laughed. 

"See! This kid has taste!" Micky laughed and then fluffed Lani's hair. 

"Right!" Davy rolled his eyes. 

Mike picked up the remains of the cake and dumped them in the trash. The party resumed around the four friends and their daughter.