xxvi. the hellfire club

March 21st, 1986

March 21st, 1986

Cassidy Sinclair executed a shadow jump, appearing before El, Theodore, and Will just as they were about to leave Surfer Dudes van. "Cassie!" scolded Will and Theodore in unison, their disapproval evident. El, however, welcomed her with a soft smile.

"Sup boys, El!" Cassidy greeted, waving with a mischievous smile that earned eye rolls from Will and Theodore. El, excited to see Cassidy, jumped onto her, enveloping her in a tight hug. The camaraderie and playfulness between them were palpable.

"Hey, E— Jane," Cassidy giggled, enjoying the playful interaction. El beamed, pulling away from the hug with a contagious smile. As El confidently strolled through the courtyard, Cassidy turned her attention to Theodore and Will.

"How's the friend thing going?" Cassidy inquired, her tone suggesting she was aware of some complexities. Theodore and Will exchanged glances, their lips curling into reluctant frowns that hinted at an unspoken tension in their friendship, leaving Cassidy to sense the undercurrents at play.

"She's still getting bullied?" Cassidy's concern echoed as she looked at Will and Theodore, who reluctantly nodded in response. Determined to lift the spirits, Cassidy took charge of the situation.

"Well, boys, let's go watch El present her project on Hop," she proposed, wrapping her arms around them. Despite the heaviness in the air, Cassidy aimed to provide a positive distraction. Theodore and Will exchanged a meaningful glance, their unspoken connection lingering as they followed Cassidy toward a brighter moment, each harboring a wish for something more beneath the surface.

Cassidy, her teasing smirk in place, halted in her tracks and folded her arms. "So you and Will are back together?" she probed, catching the nuanced exchange of glances between Theodore and Will. The unspoken tension was thick in the air.

"Did you tell her—?" Theodore scolded, his words laced with a forced smile. Will scratched his neck, delivering a apologetic smile. Theodore, seemingly in disbelief, pointed at Cassidy.

"You better not tell Mike," Theodore demanded. Cassidy, hands raised defensively, shook her head. "Aye, I'm not gonna tell Mike nor the party," she assured. Theodore glanced at Will, who nodded. Finally, Theodore nodded too.

"Come on, guys!! I wanna show Angela!" El's enthusiasm broke the moment. Cassidy sighed sadly, the complexities of their relationships weighing on her, and the boys sealed the understanding with a shared hug, navigating the delicate dynamics with a mix of secrecy and camaraderie.

"I'll see you guys later, Cass, please go home and go to school before you're late," Theodore scolded, his tone carrying a mixture of exasperation and genuine concern. Cassidy responded with a mischievous smirk, acknowledging the likelihood of her tardiness as she nodded her head.

Theodore, resigned to the playful dynamic, walked into the school to carry out his hall monitoring duties. As he disappeared into the building, Cassidy couldn't resist a parting shot. "Nerd!" she called after him, the word a playful tease.